Hypercasual Game Designer
Kwalee is a leading independent mobile game developer and publisher based in Leamington Spa – the UK’s biggest gaming hub outside Greater London and a great place to live – along with growing teams in Bangalore and Beijing.
Now the largest hypercasual games publisher in the UK, Kwalee is a company known globally thanks to half a billion downloads for hit mobile games including Draw it, Bake it, Shootout 3D, Rocket Sky and many more. These successes have driven rapid growth in recent years and with exciting new projects in the works for Nintendo Switch and PC alongside the studio's hypercasual specialism, Kwalee shows no signs of slowing down!
Founded in 2011 by David Darling CBE, a key architect of the UK games industry who previously co-founded and led Codemasters for many years, our team also includes legends such as Andrew Graham (creator of Micro Machines series) and Jason Falcus (programmer of classics including NBA Jam) alongside a growing and diverse team of mobile gaming experts.
Everyone contributes creatively to Kwalee’s success, with all employees eligible to pitch their own game ideas on Creative Wednesdays. Could your idea be the next global hit?
As a Hypercasual Game Designer you have a talent to create fun, exciting game experiences for our players. You're experienced in different areas of design and have worked specifically designing hypercasual games.
What you tell your friends you do
- “My mission is that you enjoy our games so much, that you won’t be able to stop playing!”
- What you will really be doing
- Working as part of the design team, taking responsibility for multiple mobile game projects, creating game design documents, diagrams and flowcharts.
- Designing compelling game mechanics using modern mobile design principles.
- Creating, balancing and tuning game mechanics, game difficulty and UI flow.
- Creating levels and additional content using Unity, for new and existing games.
- Evolving and adapting game designs based on play testing, feedback and live metrics.
- Driving long term player engagement by understanding mobile players needs and motivations.
How you will be doing this
- You’ll be part of an agile, multidisciplinary and creative team and work closely with them to make our games as fun as they can be.
- You'll think creatively and be motivated by challenges and constantly striving for the best.
- You’ll work with cutting edge technology, if you need software or hardware to get the job done efficiently, you can get it. We even have a robot!
Our talented team is our signature. We have a highly creative atmosphere with around 100 staff where you’ll have the opportunity to contribute daily to important decisions. You’ll work within an extremely experienced and passionate team, including David Darling and the creator of the Micro Machines video games.
Skills and requirements
- A minimum of 2 years experience in a game design role with at least one published game.
- Experience creating hypercasual games.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of mobile free-to-play game monetisation and advertising techniques.
- Ability to work creatively in a demanding team environment.
- Absolute passion for playing and making video games, especially mobile games.
- Strong creative ideas and imagination, able to entertain players with challenges, humour, surprises and fun.
- Positive attitude, self driven able to work alone or as part of a team.
- Unity experience.
- Creative writing skills.
- Coding / prototyping skills.
- Experience of mobile game live ops, A/B testing and telemetry.
- Knowledge of mobile game market, trends, competition, platforms and app stores.
We offer a generous benefits package to all our employees that includes a team profit sharing scheme from day 1 of employment among other perks.
We firmly believe in creativity and innovation and that a fundamental requirement for a successful and happy company is having the right mix of individuals. With the right people in the right environment anything and everything is possible.