Frontend Web Developer
Kwalee is a leading independent mobile game developer and publisher based in Leamington Spa – the UK’s biggest gaming hub outside Greater London and a great place to live – along with growing teams in Bangalore and Beijing.
Now the largest hypercasual games publisher in the UK, Kwalee is a company known globally thanks to half a billion downloads for hit mobile games including Draw it, Bake it, Shootout 3D, Rocket Sky and many more. These successes have driven rapid growth in recent years and with exciting new projects in the works for Nintendo Switch and PC alongside the studio's hypercasual specialism, Kwalee shows no signs of slowing down!
Founded in 2011 by David Darling CBE, a key architect of the UK games industry who previously co-founded and led Codemasters for many years, our team also includes legends such as Andrew Graham (creator of Micro Machines series) and Jason Falcus (programmer of classics including NBA Jam) alongside a growing and diverse team of mobile gaming experts. Everyone contributes creatively to Kwalee’s success, with all employees eligible to pitch their own game ideas on Creative Wednesdays. Could your idea be the next global hit?
As Frontend Web Developer you love designing and producing excellent web interfaces and have a passion for games.
What you tell your friends you do
“I make really powerful web-based tools and ensure that everyone in the company has the software that they need, especially when they don't actually know what they need!”
What you will really be doing
- You'll be working directly with the server and client teams to create our games server admin interfaces. And closely with the analytics team developing features for our analytics platform WatchTower.
- A portion of the work involves maintaining/improving our extensive games server admin interface and our in-house Analytics platform WatchTower.
- You will be working with a lot of different technologies that make up our worldwide cluster where we support millions of daily players.
- On some projects specific gameplay features rely on server side counterparts and complex web UI interfaces making for a good change of pace from Analytics and Data entry interfaces.
How you will be doing this
- You’ll be part of an agile, multidisciplinary and creative team and work closely with them to get the best results
- You'll think creatively and be motivated by challenges and constantly striving for the best.
- You’ll work with cutting edge technology - if you need software or hardware to get the job done efficiently, you can get it. We even have a robot!
Our talented team is our signature. We have a highly creative atmosphere with around 100 staff where you’ll have the opportunity to contribute daily to important decisions. You’ll work within an extremely experienced, passionate and diverse team, including David Darling and the creator of the original Micro Machines video game.
Skills and requirements
- Minimum 2 years browser-based programming experience
- An excellent working knowledge of various programming languages, databases and scripting tools including at least one of bash, MySQL, CouchBase, Python, Java, C#, JSP, PHP
- A creative mindset motivated by challenges and constantly striving for the best
- Interest in mobile games
- Knowledge of the Unix, Linux, MacOS or equivalent development environments
- Working knowledge of Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- 2:1 or higher degree in a related discipline e.g., computer science, programming, maths
- We want everyone involved in our games to share our success, that’s why we have a generous team profit sharing scheme from day 1 of employment
- In addition to a competitive salary we also offer private medical cover and life assurance
- Creative Wednesdays! (Complete freedom to design and make your own games every Wednesday)
- 20 days of paid holidays plus bank holidays
- Great work-life balance with flexible working hours
- Quarterly team building days - work hard, play hard!
- Monthly employee awards
- Free snacks, fruit and drinks
We firmly believe in creativity and innovation and that a fundamental requirement for a successful and happy company is having the right mix of individuals. With the right people in the right environment anything and everything is possible.