Kongregate is looking for a Product Manager for our Ultrabit game studio in San Diego, CA. Normally you’d be able to come to our sunny San Diego office, but due to the pandemic Kongregate is currently a fully remote company. As our Product Manager you will sit at the center of studio operations and are considered the "CEO" of the product. You are the primary driving force for the business and help orchestrate daily studio operations. You are responsible for planning the product roadmap, coordinating studio resources to execute requirements, and for setting the team up for success over the course of a product’s lifespan. Your job will include working with all studio departments - QA, Production, Design, Art, and Engineering - as well as Kongregate personnel in San Francisco.
The ideal candidate is an avid game player who understands mobile game design and product best practices, and is capable of analyzing and reacting to analytical data.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively contribute to product roadmap discussions; own some or all of roadmap preparation and execution.
- Actively contribute to the product specifications pipeline; own some or all of the pipeline items; coordinate and run product specification reviews, kickoffs, and follow-ups.
- Proactively monitor game KPIs and prioritize the team’s work based on what the game needs.
- Manage prioritization and trade-offs based on: player needs, tech needs, and business needs.
- Perform market research and deconstructs of competitive products and new genres the studio is considering entering; actively monitor and report on significant movements in the free-to-play market.
- Generate expected outcomes for new game features moving through the product pipeline.
- Report out to the broader Kongregate organization and studio leadership the results of recent feature releases, game launches, or any other relevant game-related outcomes.
- Work with 3rd party partners to effectively coordinate outsourced work and integrate new 3rd party tools and services, as appropriate.
- Support the studio Product team where needed, which may include stints on games not formally assigned (e.g. covering for another Ultrabit PM while they are on vacation).
- Juggle multiple high priority items at any given time.
- Own feature and game outcomes.
- Product/Business: Uses market and industry data to understand and improve business results; uses one’s understanding of major industry trends to contribute to effective business strategies and tactics.
- Analytics: Examines problems, situations, opportunities, and data to identify causes, key factors, and potential outcomes with the desire to improve overall business results.
- Project Management: Manages time, priorities, and resources to achieve goals.
- Stellar Communication: Clearly conveys information and ideas through a variety of written and oral media to both internal and external parties, in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message, while maintaining positive relationships.
Basic and Preferred Qualifications (Education and/or Experience)
- Quantitative degree (Business, Engineering, Math, Economics, Finance, Computer Science, etc.) or equivalent work experience.
- 2+ years experience in the gaming industry in an analytical or PM role.
- Statistics, data modeling, machine learning, or data mining coursework/experience is a plus.
- SQL knowledge is a plus.
- Scrum / Agile experience is a plus.
Minimum Qualifications, Job Skills, Abilities
- Expert communication skills, both written and oral.
- Experience working in Excel and/or Google Sheets.
- Experience working in Jira or Trello.
- Exceptional analytical, problem solving, and teamwork skills. Emphasizes actionable data driven decision making.
- Strong project management skills.
- Experience working with free-to- play game products and knowledge of best practices.
- Passion for the free to play mobile games business.
- Self-motivated, independent problem-solver, intellectually curious, and ambitious.
- 401K Plan with Company Match
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life and long term disability insurance
- Ample vacation days, PTO, and Paid Family Leave
- Company wide events, game nights, happy hours and more (all of which are currently virtual)!
- Build awesome games with premier IP holders.
This position is for our San Diego, CA location, but we are open to remote work.
COVID Note: Due to the on-going pandemic, Kongregate is operating as a fully remote company until further notice. All interviews will be conducted via phone and video calls.
Kongregate is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.