(Closed) Manager, Communications and Social Media
The Madison Square Garden Company (MSG) is a world leader in live sports and entertainment experiences. The company presents or hosts a broad array of premier events in its diverse collection of iconic venues: New York’s Madison Square Garden, The Theater at Madison Square Garden, Radio City Music Hall and Beacon Theatre; the Forum in Inglewood, CA; The Chicago Theatre; and the Wang Theatre in Boston. Other MSG properties include legendary sports franchises: the New York Knicks (NBA), the New York Rangers (NHL) and the New York Liberty (WNBA); two development league teams -- the Westchester Knicks (NBAGL) and the Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL); and one of the leading North American esports organizations, Counter Logic Gaming. In addition, the Company features popular original entertainment productions -- the Christmas Spectacular and New York Spectacular – both starring the Radio City Rockettes, and through Boston Calling Events, produces outdoor festivals, including New England’s preeminent Boston Calling Music Festival. Also under the MSG umbrella is TAO Group, a world-class hospitality group with globally-recognized entertainment dining and nightlife brands: Tao, Marquee, Lavo, Avenue, The Stanton Social, Beauty & Essex and Vandal.
At MSG we value diversity and are looking for extraordinary employees of all backgrounds! MSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, citizenship, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, MSG complies with all applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in all locations.
This position will serve as the primary media liaison for the Westchester Knicks and Knicks 2K Gaming team and oversee day-to-day promotion of the team and its players. This role will facilitate team coverage through traditional and digital media outlets, field incoming media requests, actively pitch feature stories for players, coaches and staff, oversee game day media operations, and create content for social media channels. Will also travel as necessary with either team to serve as on site PR contact.
- Write and distribute press releases for player transactions, partnerships, community events and regularly maintain and distribute game notes and field and respond to incoming media requests
- Pitch feature stories on team players, coaches and staff and work closely with Knicks Public Relations team on various player and media related matters
- Facilitate social media content for Westchester Knicks, including daily promotion for the team and providing regular updates regarding team news and storylines
- Help oversee social media promotion for Knicks Gaming, working closely with MSG digital team
- Publish game notes, recaps, feature stories to official team website
- Attend all team practices and adhere to NBA mandated daily media availability
- Manage game day media relations duties for all home games (WCK) and Knicks Gaming matches
- Game day responsibilities include – press room and media setup, scheduling and overseeing game night staff, overseeing pregame and postgame media availability with players and coaches, updating and monitoring team social media handles, assisting with local and national television broadcasts
- Attend regular meetings and interface with other departments across the organization, including publicity, marketing, community relations, ticket sales, and sponsorships.
- Attend team community events as media contact and create content for team web and social
- Aid team management in monitoring media reports, social media metrics, and other communications and PR KPI’s
- BA or BS in Communications, public relations, or a related field
- Minimum of 3-5 years of full-time experience working sports public relations and media relations
- Knowledge of social media tools including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat
- Media background that includes experience coordinating interviews and fluency in sports coverage/writing
- Self-driven with the ability to prioritize workload and work independently
- Very strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to understand when to elevate issues to senior management
Candidates who have completed 60 credits of college-level coursework (representing 2 years), or have shown similar self-development through certifications, trade school coursework, etc. are preferred.
Educational requirements may differ from job to job based on the role.