(Closed) Esports Coordinator
WHO WE ARE
Kids in the Game (KING) is dedicated to empowering New York City’s youth through sports, creativity, and play. KING is a leader among NYC-based sports-based youth development organizations and works with 20,000 children each year. Our work is focused on achieving five ultimate impacts:
- Enhancing emotional intelligence
- Creating a positive sense of self
- Developing NYC into the nation’s top talent hub
- Integrating our communities
- Narrowing the income inequality gaps
KING has experienced rapid growth in recent years, being named #1188 on Inc Magazine’s 2018 Fastest Growing Companies list and #24 in the Education category. Our programs can be found in more than 60 schools across NYC, where we offer recess, PE, after school and enrichment programs, along with our signature sports teams and day camps. Our company is proud to be a pending B-Corp, and we are continuing to deepen our impact through our foundation, KING Kids, which provides scholarships to help those in need access our programs. Visit us online at www.kidsinthegame.com to learn more about our programs and the KING team.
Our Latest Addition: KING eSports Leagues
Building on the massive popularity of eSports gaming, we successfully launched an eSports program in 2018, in collaboration with New York Excelsior (NYXL), designed to help kids with limited or no sports experience use electronic games, such as NBA 2K and FIFA, to understand the fundamentals of team sports and transfer these skills to the court and field. Our hybrid instructional model combines eSports and traditional instruction to give kids the confidence they need to become better students and athletes, while also focusing on teamwork, communication, and socialization skills.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
After a successful inaugural season, our eSports programming is a fast-developing initiative and our eSports Coordinator role is designed to support our bold vision for the future of hybrid sports instruction. We need an avid gamer who is familiar with an array of eSports games, including NBA 2K and FIFA. To qualify, you should have project/program management experience and an entrepreneurial mindset that will help you build the eSports program from the ground up, as well as develop a network of partnerships to support/expand programming within your first year. Above all, you should be a firm believer in the long-term impact of helping children develop healthy habits and skills, and be able to communicate these benefits to our children, families, and schools. This unique opportunity would allow you to coach teams, develop curricula, organize leagues and tournaments, while promoting our values of teamwork, respect, integrity, and sportsmanship.
Your first major project will be to facilitate our eSports program expansion for the 2019-2020 school year, which will feature three seasons of eSports tournaments (8 weeks per season) with up to 16 teams participating in each league. You will also develop an eSports travel team to allow older students to travel to other schools and communities for tournaments. For the 2020 camp season, you will work closely with other business functions to integrate eSports gaming into our existing day camps and lead a standalone camp for our eSports students. You should have familiarity with assessing program feasibility to help us determine which eSports programs to pursue and think through all of the logistical challenges.
To succeed in this role, you should be comfortable managing an independent workload and supervising multiple initiatives across a wide geographic range. Excellent communication, organization, and interpersonal skills will help you work with and support our partners, multitask in a fast-paced environment, and remain focused to effectively navigate high-pressure situations. Additionally, you should have the flexibility to work during evenings and weekends to supervise tournaments, and be enthusiastic about interacting with students, parents, and our partners during these events.
Key functions of this role include:
- Enroll participants (both schools and individuals) in our eSports classes/leagues and respond to inquiries from interested partners/families in a timely and professional manner
- Refine our eSports basketball and soccer curricula; develop curricula for other games that can be aligned with in-person sports instruction
- Maintain strong lines of communication withevent organizers, partners, teams, and players
- Coordinate our participation in consumer, trade, and eSports events and conferences
- Explore opportunities to engage with potential partners/sponsors
- Administer KING-led tournaments and manage all aspects of event planning and promotion
- Secure tournament licenses, space permits, and necessary sports and electronics equipment
- Prepare announcements and press releases to highlight our eSports events and tournaments
- Manage day-to-day administrative tasks, including: tracking student data; updating team statistics and league standings; and collecting/analyzing student survey results
- Provide timely updates on the status of our eSports programming, events and related initiatives
WHAT WE ARE GOING TO LOVE ABOUT YOU
Our ideal candidate would meet some or all of the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent experience) in Recreation, Sports Management, Computer Science, or other relevant field
- Previous experience with eSports gaming, whether as a personal interest or by working in the gaming industry
- 2+ years of experience in program/project management, or a record of taking on roles that require you to manage multiple projects, events, or sites
- Understanding of operational tasks related to running sports programs and/or tournaments, including equipment purchasing, event planning, and event promotion
- Entrepreneurial mindset and previous experience launching programs that emphasize new opportunities or innovations
- Self-motivated, organized, and extremely detail-oriented to ensure that programs run smoothly and you are consistently meeting project deadlines
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, mission-driven environment and willingness to go the extra mile
- Understanding how to use limited resources to solve problems and maximize your outcomes
- Open availability to work evenings and weekends to supervise eSports classes and tournaments
- Comfortable traveling across NYC via public transportation
- Prior experience using G-Suite and MS tools, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English
- Strong work ethic, team spirit, and a friendly, warm attitude
WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE ABOUT US
- We are a youthful, passionate, committed team of individuals that care about our youth and city
- We work hard and push each other personally and professionally to keep growing
- We value work/life balance, autonomy, and trust to help you manage your time and schedule
- We offer you the freedom to work outside of the office and reach new parts of NYC – every day can be a different experience as you visit all of our schools and programs and get a feel for all parts of the city
- We are an active team and regularly participate in company social leagues, workout classes, and sporting events
- We host semi-annual winter and summer leadership retreats to build team cohesion and promote collaborative strategic planning
- We provide a total rewards package including:
- health / dental / vision benefits
- 401K with employer matching contributions
- Commuter benefits
- Monthly gym reimbursement
- Free summer camp for your children (if applicable)
OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU
At KING, you can expect to be welcomed into an engaging and spirited environment that emphasizes the importance of teamwork, open communication, and collaboration. We are proud to foster an inclusive environment where our team members feel respected by and connected to one another. We value the unique experiences, perspectives, and passions of our employees, and we look forward to adding dynamic personalities to our team.
INTERESTED IN JOINING THE KING TEAM?
If KING seems like the right fit for you, email a resume and cover letter. As part of your cover letter, please tell us about your personal experience with eSports, relevant program/project management experience, and what interests you about the possibility of building our eSports division from the ground up.