Technical QA Lead
To support Project Managers, Test Leads, Senior Technical QA Testers and Technical QA Testers performing Technical testing on live projects.
SCOPE OF ROLE
This position entails learning to become an expert in the general certification and submission process that are common to all hardware manufacturers. However, it’s not required to be an expert of all certification testing requirements and guidelines, but does require knowledge such as; the general submission process, tools and software used, test case management, and project set up for each different platform.
The candidate would be responsible for running Certification projects, working closely alongside the corresponding Certification Leads for each hardware platform. This also includes managing the day-to-day testing activities that are common to certification projects and communicating to clients about certification and submission.
The successful individual should have the skills and experience to train/mentor testers as well as answer queries/publish defects for different platform/devices. The key responsibilities may vary during peak business periods, absences or workload fluctuations, in which cases support to management may be required.
Key Responsibilities and Activities
TQA Related Responsibilities
- Overseeing multiple Technical QA projects simultaneously and supporting their teams.
- Maintaining Resource Site information relating to Technical QA, including How-To documents, FAQs, etc.
- Guaranteeing that KWS’s Technical QA information is up-to-date for all platforms/devices.
- Overseeing the submission feedback processes to ensure proper follow up. This includes reviewing the feedback and ensuring that actions required as a result are put in place while consulting with the other Certification Leads.
- Maintaining & publishing Submission defect stats for their project on multiple platforms.
- Assisting with team balancing and optimal use of resources.
- Developing and improving tools & processes for the Technical and FQA Group.
- Helping manage the test suites and test cases for their team.
- Designing and customizing test strategy based on client demands.
- Manage, lead and motivate test teams.
- Delegate test cases to test team directly, clearly and efficiently.
- Proactively solve project issues with the test teams and Project Manager, before they impact the project.
- Make sure both the Project Manager and test teams are aware of project status.
- Monitor test strategy in accordance with project schedule and budget requirements.
- Administer and enforce the quality and consistency of bugs as required by Keywords process.
- Constant monitoring and management of bug databases to insure quality and productivity are up to par.
- Expertly vet, assign and monitor bugs in the database.
- Set, monitor and achieve goals through the test team.
- Interact with testers face-to-face daily.
Training & Coaching
- Provide daily positive and constructive performance feedback to testers and seniors.
- Provide both positive recognition and warnings appropriately.
- Provide monthly evaluation feedback to testers and at least quarterly evaluation feedback to seniors.
- Mentor and support all staff including new FQA and TQA Leads.
- Help identify areas where training material may need revision.
- Mentor and support any other assigned employees.
- Professional, courteous and regular client contact at a QA level on all projects.
- Communicate important project related information directly to the client, including reports, test cases, bug dumps.
- Able to find solutions to client requests when possible.
- Able to decline client requests in an appropriate manner when necessary.
- Coordinate with the Production Support department regarding staffing and tester allocation.
- Responsible for the conservation of database workflows and process.
- Create build requests and deployment notifications.
- Conveys project status to Senior Management and/or customers via daily reports (end of day/round/project), e-mail, instant messaging and/or phone conferences.
- Ensure internal project-related knowledge bases are maintained.
- Communicate employee warnings and actions taken to Human Resources.
- Primary point of contact for QA specific questions and concerns raised by test teams.
- Responsible for the upkeep of Keywords and hardware/software policy, process and security.
- Resolve conflicts/issues and escalate to others as appropriate, including IT related issues and help tickets.
- Conduct tester duties as and when required.
- Setting up and maintaining testing workspaces when required and out of ITs’ responsibilities.
- Troubleshoot hardware and software issues.
Assisting the Certification Manager in administrative tasks for the Technical QA Group, as required.
Skills, Knowledge and Ability
- Leadership experience preferred across multiple platform types on at least a Senior QA Tester level or above...
- Technical QA experience is a plus but not required.
- 2+ years of work experience in the games industry.
- Understanding of games development process.
- Intricate understanding of functionality QA and Technical QA testing processes.
- General understanding of platform requirements
- Basic understanding of the console submission processes.
- Experience designing test cases.
- Comfortable with structured testing methodology (in contrast to adhoc).
- Familiarity with Test Case Management software (e.g. SpiraTest, DevTest, Testrail).
- Experience with platform/device specific testing tools, such as Xbox Manager, PS Neighborhood, Nintendo SDK Etc.
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills.
- IT literate, specifically: Windows, MS-Office suite.
- Ability to communicate information and interact with external points of contact appropriately.
- Ability to work effectively and decisively under pressure.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize efficiently.
- Availability to do overtime as required.
- Ability to work in office as required.
- Continually seeking and learning from feedback and, when appropriate, using this information towards departmental improvements.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Highly proactive and shows initiative, while remaining communicative with their QA teams and peers.