Senior Technical Artist
To our wonderful friends and followers around the world, Jagex is not pausing its search for the most talented people to join its ranks. We’re a successful, robust and growing business, after all.
In light of the current situation concerning coronavirus, we have already made changes to the way we recruit, and of course are mindful of following all necessary processes to ensure the safety of our staff and anyone we might come into contact with.
Jagex has switched to working almost entirely remotely, and in line with that our recruitment and selection process has moved to an entirely remote one with video calls being the preferred method of interview.
Our hiring managers are engaged, we are well-prepared and we sincerely look forward to talking to you soon. Our team of expert recruiters will be in touch with you to talk you through the process and changes and what to expect.
So, don’t delay, get that application in today!
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
Jagex is looking for a Senior Technical Artist to help us undertake the exciting challenge of building a brand new, AAA massively multiplayer online role-playing game.
We’ve welcomed over 280 million players to RuneScape’s world of enthralling fantasy and, together with our team of passionate game creators, our community helps to shape how our games evolve. From casting votes on future game content, to interacting with the studio teams in live streams and in chat, we also join together in person at our celebrated fan convention, RuneFest. Together with our players, we are united as one Jagex tribe.
This is a fantastic opportunity to be instrumental in shaping the future of MMORPGs from the ground-up, at the forefront of Unreal Engine 4 & 5 development. You will be responsible for working alongside programmers and artists to ensure the projects artistic and creative vision are not compromised by the limitations of technical processes; pushing the boundaries of possibility by collaboratively developing software tools, scripts, pipelines and workflows that enhance the creation of art.
- Game-focused, driven by a curiosity to understand why you are solving a problem, empowering you to find the right solution.
- Motivated by delivering value, driving you to focus on the core of a problem and iterating to produce great results.
- Excited by the opportunity to be a part of a collaborative, cross-functional team, helping to craft incredible player experiences.
- Bridge the gap between art and engineering, supporting development through effective use of content creation tools and pipelines.
- Work autonomously to rapidly deliver feature prototypes using your in-depth knowledge of Unreal Engine 4 workflows and capabilities.
- Collaborate with content creators to identify and implement improvements to asset creation, delivery, and maintenance pipelines.
- Identify and implement optimisations to help achieve performance and quality targets.
- Undertake R&D endeavours on new and emerging technologies to aid with prototyping and problem solving.
- Provide feedback, mentoring and coaching for other developers.
- Take ownership of key deliverables and drive them forward to delivery.
- Professional experience shipping UE4 game(s) as a technical artist.
- Demonstrable experience in optimisation techniques and memory budget management.
- In-depth knowledge of content creation applications, e.g. Maya, Substance, Z-Brush, Houdini, Photoshop etc.
- In-depth knowledge of one or more of the following areas of expertise: Shading, lighting, scripting (Python, MAXScript/MEL, etc), animation, modelling, VFX.
Even better if you have:
- Experience with UE4 iOS and Android development.
- Experience working on MMO game(s).
- Experience with open-world content creation techniques.
- Good knowledge of C++ and/or C#.
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.