Principal Operations Engineer
To our wonderful friends and followers around the world, Jagex is not pausing its search for the most talented people to join its ranks. We’re a successful, robust and growing business, after all.
In light of the current situation concerning coronavirus, we have already made changes to the way we recruit, and of course are mindful of following all necessary processes to ensure the safety of our staff and anyone we might come into contact with.
Jagex has switched to working almost entirely remotely, and in line with that our recruitment and selection process has moved to an entirely remote one with video calls being the preferred method of interview.
Our hiring managers are engaged, we are well-prepared and we sincerely look forward to talking to you soon. Our team of expert recruiters will be in touch with you to talk you through the process and changes and what to expect.
So, don’t delay, get that application in today!
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
The operational system support team is responsible for supporting, maintaining, and advancing the Jagex infrastructure. Providing technical direction to engineers and working with in-house domain experts to provide technical recommendations to product owners.
As a principal engineer, your primary focus will be to ensure the technical strategy for the architecture and design of the operation systems support team aligns with business and departmental strategies.
You will also be accountable for delivering on that strategy, by driving the development and adoption of technical principles, standards, and procedures across the IT engineering community.
Through collaboration you will build a good understanding of the problem spaces that Operations Engineers at Jagex operate in and will use that understanding to develop technical principles that are meaningful and useful.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide a technical vision to engineers and product owners to better inform implementation decisions.
- Work with engineers and domain experts to continually improve and adapt the technical vision to meet the changing environment and IT landscape.
- Provide, when asked an impartial fact-based view of implementation decisions to product owners, based on domain expert advice, industry best practice and a view to overall architecture.
- Encourage the sharing and dissemination of information from domain experts to engineers with a practical interest.
- Network and communicate with senior stakeholders across organisations and proactively seek out opportunities for digital transformation.
- Support multiple teams, finding and using best practice and emerging technologies.
- Build and maintain systems both on prem and in the cloud.
- Work with developers to design, and implement, infrastructure according to in-house standards and industry best practices.
- Develop and document in-house standards, procedures, and best practices.
- Support other members of the Ops team with the implementation of standards.
- Support other members of the Ops team to develop their expertise.
- Linux server installation, configuration, and maintenance
- Installation and upkeep of all physical data centre premises
- Network & Database Administration and Troubleshooting
- Support of the Jagex Operational Systems (game servers, web servers, backend systems, etc.)
- Support of the Jagex Development Systems (code/asset repositories, build systems, development environments, etc.)
Skills & Experience
- A very good understanding of Linux Operating Systems
- A good understanding of Computer WAN Networking (e.g., BGP, MPLS, OSPF)
- A good understanding of Computer LAN Networking
- A good understanding of Information Security
- A good understanding of Database Administration
- A good understanding of Storage Area Networks
- A good understanding of Computer Science, or Software Development Processes
- A good understanding of AWS and Terraform.
- A good understanding of IaC
- At least one specialism in the above-described skillsets.
- Excellent Communication and Team-working Skills
- Excellent Customer Service Skills
- Cool under pressure.
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.