(Closed) Principal Engineer
To our wonderful friends and followers around the world, Jagex is not pausing its search for the most talented people to join its ranks. We’re a successful, robust and growing business, after all.
In light of the current situation concerning coronavirus, we have already made changes to the way we recruit, and of course are mindful of following all necessary processes to ensure the safety of our staff and anyone we might come into contact with.
Jagex has switched to working almost entirely remotely, and in line with that our recruitment and selection process has moved to an entirely remote one with video calls being the preferred method of interview.
Our hiring managers are engaged, we are well-prepared and we sincerely look forward to talking to you soon. Our team of expert recruiters will be in touch with you to talk you through the process and changes and what to expect.
So, don’t delay, get that application in today!
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 360 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
- Enable our players to discover, access and engage with our products through online services and experiences. Represent and evangelize the Technology Group’s goals and technical ethos. Maintain and optimize Jagex products, websites, internal tools and new software and features.
- Mentor and support the upskilling of Engineers in their work.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute clean and robust code
- Review code changes across our entire infrastructure
- Coach and mentor Engineers’ technical and architectural skills to help maintain and enhance our live, highly available software and user journeys
- Constantly look for new opportunities to improve our customer experience
- Be accountable for technical quality of multiple Jagex systems/products
- Contribute your views and input into high-level technical discussions, supporting Product Owners in meeting goals
- Provide on-call support for key systems, allowing our players to interact with our products at all times
- Make significant contributions and provide thought leadership for our department’s engineering best practices, tech principles and architecture, in collaboration with Engineers and Engineering Managers
- Keep up to date with the latest industry trends to expand your knowledge across the tech stack, living the T-Shaped agile developer mindset
- Mentor Engineers of all experience levels in complex design discussions, improving their full-stack skills across the Technology Group
- Aid non-technical stakeholders with high level feasibility studies and estimations for company-wide initiatives, representing the department’s goals to ensure commercial and technical alignment
- Always behave in a professional manner, maintaining a positive and conscientious work ethic whilst also demonstrating initiative and determination to get the job done
- Work effectively with colleagues both within the immediate team and across the company whenever necessary.
- Demonstrate a willingness to adapt to the evolving environment of the company, teams and work requirements.
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.