Director of Corporate Development
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
Jagex is seeking to recruit a Director of Corporate Development to join the Strategy and Corporate Development team and lead M&A activities for the company. This is a highly visible role, as the Strategy and Corporate Development team is focused on the top strategic priorities for Jagex, which includes setting the corporate strategy and the long-range value creation plan, driving M&A and corporate development initiatives, and working closely with senior leaders on key initiatives.
You will be responsible for implementing a cohesive acquisition and investment strategy that will support and drive Jagex’s growth and expansion. You will work closely with the company’s senior leadership team to drive effective M&A execution and align stakeholders around a common strategic blueprint for growth. You will bring experience leading cross-functional matrixed deal teams and have a proven track record of end-to-end success on deal management, including identification, evaluation, deal negotiation, and integration.
Finally, you will establish Jagex has a credible acquirer/consolidator in the games industry.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Iterate on M&A criteria and strategy to ensure appropriate acquisition targets are in alignment with Jagex’s value creation plan
- Develop and monitor an evergreen pipeline of potential M&A opportunities
- Lead evaluation of M&A opportunities and work closely with leadership and shareholders to prioritize targets
- Conduct due diligence on products and teams, develop business cases, build financial models (DCF, comps), facilitate negotiations, and work closely with internal leaders and external advisors on commercial arrangements
- Prepare and present opportunities for review by leadership team and board of directors
- Establish and own the post-deal integration planning, and drive core internal projects related to integration planning and performance measurement to ensure successful integration
- Extensive network, deep understanding, and passion for the games industry.
- Self-starter and comfort with ambiguity. Able to start deal sourcing from day 1.
- Bachelor’s degree, and MBA highly desirable, with extensive experience, ideally in investment banking, private equity, and/or corporate development at a leading media or technology company
- Proven ability to manage complex M&A transactions end-to-end, working with a broad range of internal stakeholders and external advisors
- Strategic thinker with exceptional quantitative skills and financial acumen
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to develop trust and influence with stakeholder groups at all levels internally and externally.
- Ability to effectively balance multiple simultaneous priorities and deadlines with tight timelines
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.