To our wonderful friends and followers around the world, Jagex is not pausing its search for the most talented people to join its ranks. We’re a successful, robust and growing business, after all.
In light of the current situation concerning coronavirus, we have already made changes to the way we recruit, and of course are mindful of following all necessary processes to ensure the safety of our staff and anyone we might come into contact with.
Jagex has switched to working almost entirely remotely, and in line with that our recruitment and selection process has moved to an entirely remote one with video calls being the preferred method of interview.
Our hiring managers are engaged, we are well-prepared and we sincerely look forward to talking to you soon. Our team of expert recruiters will be in touch with you to talk you through the process and changes and what to expect.
So, don’t delay, get that application in today!
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
As a Design Director you are accountable for defining, executing, and maintaining a coherent design strategy that practically delivers the creative vision as outlined and held by the Creative Director. This role is primarily focussed on the pragmatic interpretation of requirements needed to execute the Creative Directors vision together with the design team.
You directly manage the design team output and strategy overseeing smooth design pipelines, ensuring the highest quality is achieved by internal and external teams throughout production meeting the creative direction criteria.
You will be expected to work closely with product, production, art, and engineering to steer and develop the design direction while providing direct leadership and guidance to your team. The team look to you as an inspirational leader who provides motivation, mentoring and coaching as well as advocating team creativity and best practices throughout all design disciplines including health and well-being.
Represent your team at a product, leadership, and craft level both to the wider studio, community, and industry.
At a Director level you contribute toward studio wide topics, decisions and directives that will move the studios creative department forward and continue to establish Jagex as a studio of exceptional talent.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Works extremely closely with the Creative Director (Vision Holder) to establish a design strategy that practically and successfully executes the creative vision
- Champions the best practical craft delivery of the creative vision hitting the highest quality bar
- Directly manages design leads and stablishes high performing teams in craft excellence
- Produces easily digestible design briefs, pitches, guides, and documentation to align team understanding and direction
- Concisely and clearly communicates upward to EP, Senior Directors, VP’s and Exec
- Defines best practices and pipelines with the team in all areas of design including outsourcing
- Works with production to effectively plan design team delivery and highlight strategic risks
- Creates team growth plans and collaborates with recruitment partners to deliver on it
- Levels the design team up through mentoring, training, and personal development plans
- Inspires, motivates, and unleashes potential in individuals and team to deliver beyond their expectation
- Keeps themselves and the team informed of the latest advancements of technology and techniques specific to design
- Able to show a path forward for their team in the face of uncertainty and ambiguity
- Contributes toward studio initiatives and is a team and studio ambassador personifying the company values.
- Participates in studio design leadership shaping the strategy of the department within Jagex
- Portfolio demonstrating strong, practical design leadership capability (brief writing, design documentation, pitches, breakdowns)
- Able to show and talk to a solid understanding of design principles
- Hands on game engine experience
- Extensive end to end game development experience from concept, prototype, pre-production, and production through to live game on PC or Console to AAA standard
- Able to translate a creative direction and interpret to actionable design requirements communicating those requirements to the team, stakeholders and externally as required
- Competent with strategies growing, developing, and managing multidisciplinary design teams on a live product
- Experience establishing and running feedback mechanisms for critiquing and evaluation
- In depth practical mentoring capability in two of the following areas: game design, UX, narrative design. MTX, level design, combat design, technical design
- Working knowledge of modern game design practices, processes, and frameworks across all major design disciplines
- Strong leadership skills with an inspirational lead by example approach that unleashes potential in others
- Ability to bring a competitive edge to the studio through Design Direction
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.