(Closed) Lead Environment Artist
As the Lead Environment Artist at IWPL, you will maintain high visual standards and overall tone as defined by Art Directors. The Lead Artist sets the example to the team with the highest quality content creation, a high proficiency of proprietary technology, tools, and deep understanding of production dependencies. This individual understands performance budgets, and possesses the ability to forecast production schedules. Can work cross departmentally with engineering, design, lighting and production counterparts. Understands PBR lighting basics, material authoring and sets best practices for building as well as bug fixing.
Priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Works closely with Art Directors to maintain style and tone consistent across all environments.
- Helps drive high level vision by providing aesthetic and technical direction to the team.
- Responsible for the quality and efficiency of art content generated by their team.
- Prioritizes and assigns tasks and initiatives to their team to ensure best possible results, while aligning with Directors, Production and OS managers.
- Works closely with the design team counterparts to shape and mold early design block-outs into spaces that work both for gameplay, believability, and desired art direction.
- Works closely with the Tools, Engine, and Tech art counterparts to develop new workflows or improve upon existing tools and technologies to streamline team efficiency.
- Helps drive the planning and pre-production efforts of each assigned environment when necessary.
- Responsible for the management and mentorship of all Artists on their team.
- Responsible for preparing and delivering candid positive and constructive performance feedback for direct reports on a regular basis.
- Audits content themselves through reviews and setting up reviews for Art Directors and stakeholders.
- Supervise bug distribution and work with production and QA to verify bug fixes.
- Create documentation of processes for others to follow as needed.
- Expected to evaluate and help solve performance concerns.
- Proactively helps to troubleshoot and fix problem content.
- 10+ years of world building experience with an industry leading level editor. UE4, Unity, or proprietary editor.
- At least 1 shipped AAA title in the lead position.
- Strong ability to give and take direction.
- Demonstrate the ability to arbitrate effectively when conflicting issues arise within their team and across the Art Department.
- Strong ability to balance and prioritize visual direction against realistic goals.
- Strong foundational Art skills. Understanding of composition, form, color and light in relation to crafting environments.
- Strong narrative and environmental story telling skills with regards to set dressing and world building.
- Strong understanding of modular workflows as it relates to architectural assembly and asset creation.
- Advanced knowledge of physically based material workflows and shaders.
- Advanced skill in their discipline software. Max, Maya, Blender, Photoshop and similar software.
- Self-motivated, independent, and has proven ability to self-manage and meet deadlines.
- Photogrammetry experience a Plus +
- Concept Skills a Plus +
- First Person Shooter experience a Plus +