Software Engineer, Distributed Game Engine
Distributed computing is a gateway to all manner of awesome future possibilities, and within our Distributed Game Engine division you’ll have the chance to work directly on expanding this technology.
Our Runtime team creates the high performance, high throughput messaging systems, in-memory streaming database and high performance networking between clients and servers across a large range of target of platforms, all of which underpins our SpatialOS technology.
There is enormous demand for what we can deliver, as game developers strive to make larger, and more deeply interactive worlds. You’ll frequently find yourself working on concepts and problems that are new and exciting, stretching yourself to come up with new solutions in a collaborative space alongside some brilliant people.
You can find out more about our SpatialOS and our Multiplayer Networking technology here.
Areas of Impact
- As a Software Engineer in the Runtime team, your main duty will be contributing to your team’s components, delivering new features, and actively raising the quality of the product.
- You'll be responsible for collectively designing, implementing and driving delivery of complex features that spread across multiple teams.
- You'll help ensure game and simulation developers have language-idiomatic SDKs to build on, and communicate via the SpatialOS networking engine.
- You'll develop tools to automate customers workflows and bespoke performant networking to communicate over, providing an easy and efficient way to create games that scale beyond the capabilities of single servers.
We would like to hear from you if you identify with the following
- Knowledge and experience of C++ and low level performance optimizations
- Experience in high performance, high throughput messaging systems
- Experience in building low level libraries across multiple platforms
- Knowledge of databases, networking, APIs, Kubernetes, Docker, OOD programming
- Passion for helping organise and improve a team’s delivery practices - the planning, breakdown and tracking of a project
- Industry experience in building games engines, games networking solutions or writing code that interacts with either
- Low level networking or custom netcode experience
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply!!
Improbable is determined to foster an environment where people can do their best work and feel like they belong. We believe a healthy culture, strong values and contribution from a diverse range of individuals will help us to achieve success.
We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, gender, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.