Senior LiveOps Engineer
At Improbable, we’re bringing together technology and games to create new opportunities and experiences. In order to achieve this, we need unique perspectives from diverse people, empowered to revolutionise how online games are made, delivered and paid for.
We believe one of the biggest, most impactful changes to the way we live our lives is going to come from the medium of games. Realising new communities, societies and vocations through virtual worlds is what drives our people and gives them purpose.
Here in the games group at Improbable our LiveOps Engineers use systems expertise combined with software engineering experience to help define, create, and support the architecture, build systems, and operations of services across the business. They orchestrate games on a cutting-edge kubernetes-based platform that utilises leading open-sourced observability and monitoring solutions. The team is composed of talented engineers that are focused on evangelising reliability-as-a-feature through monitoring, service-level objectives, automation, everything-as-code, and testing.
Our LiveOps Engineers are at the heart of delivering on our vision, both for our games and our technology teams. Working directly with the engineering teams from across the business to deliver on our dreams for the future.
As a LiveOps Engineer at Improbable, you may find yourself:
- Hosting blameless postmortems to share learnings, discover gaps, embrace transparency, and improve reliability across our services
- Employing your systems knowledge to triage problems and tune resource usage
- Running large scale load tests to find scaling bottlenecks in our games’ architectures.
- Working with game studios to define robust rollout processes into our production environments
- Championing automation to reduce toil and increase development velocity
- Building Terraform configs to manage infrastructure in public clouds and bare metal servers
- Supporting and improving build pipelines
- Optimising the process to deploy changes from source control to players
- Applying everything-as-code methodologies across configuration, infrastructure, orchestration, and elsewhere
- Being part of an on-call rotation to assist finding a resolution during incidents
We'd like to hear from you if you identify with the following:
- Love to solve novel and exciting problems
- Dislike solving the same problems over-and-over- so you automate or eliminate them
- Are inspired to make everyone's job easier by improving workflows
- Are comfortable digging through metrics, logs, and whatever other information is available to triage and fix an incident at any time
- Strive to be better, smarter, and faster tomorrow than you are today
- Enjoy trying new technologies to improve what we're doing today
- Naturally spread the philosophies and practices of DevOps to others
- Like to collaborate with others to solve problems, share knowledge, and provide feedback
- Can self-assess the needs of a system or team, and make a case to prioritize that work
- Relish working with software, network, cloud, and systems engineers to solve problems across all tiers of the stack
- Help your peers succeed as much as you can
Areas of Expertise
- Service Level Objectives
- Distributed systems (written in Go, Node)
- Configuration Management (terraform. kustomize)
- Container Computing and Orchestration (kubernetes + docker)
- Cloud services & Architecture (GCP, AWS, Tencent + Bare Metal)
- Monitoring (Prometheus, Thanos)
- Logging (Fluentbit, Elasticsearch)
- Networking (Istio, ExternalDNS, Cert-manager)
- Source Control (Git + Perforce)
- Build and Deployment Pipeline (Buildkite)
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply!
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.