Senior Game Programmer
At Improbable, we’re bringing together technology and games to create new opportunities and experiences. In order to achieve this, we need unique perspectives from diverse people, empowered to revolutionise how online games are made, delivered and paid for.
We believe one of the biggest, most impactful changes to the way we live our lives is going to come from the medium of games. Realising new communities, societies and vocations through virtual worlds is what drives our people and gives them purpose.
With the successful launch of SpatialOS to the gaming world, the popularity of our platform is growing. Our goal is to demonstrate the potential of the platform through our original IP game, leveraging SpatialOS and the Unreal Engine.
As a Senior Game Programmer at Improbable, you understand the core mechanics of gameplay systems, modern engines, as well as the tools and techniques needed to support and empower content creators. You leverage those concepts , alongside SpatialOS, to develop world-class experiences. You design and implement critical gameplay systems that will be technically robust for large-scale, complex games. You also help to drive the requirements of the SpatialOS platform by giving structured feedback on the process of using the technology and the challenges faced.
We'd like to hear from you
- Knowledge of implementing gameplay or elements of gameplay (e.g. combat mechanics, AI behaviours, pathfinding).
- Knowledge of game architectures and game development paradigms (e.g. entity component systems).
- Knowledge and working experience of game engines (e.g. Unity, Unreal, Frostbite, or CryEngine).
- Excellent communication and team skills
- Ability to communicate with both technical and non-technical stakeholders (e.g. producers, artists, designers).
- Ability to establish technical requirements from creative or design-led pitches.
- Ability to define and understand elements of game design documents and technical design documents.
- Experience breaking down the development of a system into a number of manageable tasks.
- Previous experience with shipping 2+ titles.
- Previous experience developing titles for desktop or console.
- Previous experience with implementing features for multiplayer games.
- A portfolio of projects/side projects.
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply!!
COVID-19 Studio Guidelines
The health, safety, and well being of our team members is of the utmost importance to our studio. As such, we have transitioned to remote work by default until a time at which we can safely return to the office. This means that all interviews, "onsite" interviews, office tours, and onboarding will be done over videoconference (or phone).
We also recognize the impact the pandemic is having on all of us personally, and work hard to create a culture where mental health and wellness are valued and supported. If you have any questions or concerns about our studio policy, please don't hesitate to raise them with your recruiter.
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.