Principal Software Engineer (Modelling and Decision Sciences), Defence
Decision Science Product Development area is spinning up three new teams to create products that support and deliver modelling and data science as part of the Improbable Defence offering. These products will cover three core areas: base models that come with the platform, tools to help modellers build models more quickly and tools to help compose synthetic environments.
This is a brand new division, taking all of the learnings and developments we have made in our customer projects, and shaping them into great new modelling products. We are now seeking a Principal Software Engineer to help develop these opportunities, and empower our users to make synthetic environments at the level of complexity and scale they desire.
This is a leadership role, however, this is not a management position and the Principal Software Engineer will not have any direct reports. This is a greenfield opportunity and as such, there is some scope for the individual to shape this role around the needs and composition of the teams. This will be a hands-on role to work with the teams directly and has a core strategic and future-looking component.
Areas of impact:
- Get involved across all aspects of the engineering workflow both as contributor and lead / reviewer. This includes: reviews, architecture design documentation, prototyping, concepting, technology selection and data strategy.
- Coaching and mentoring a team of engineers, guiding them towards best practices.
- Able to make design and execution decisions, manage stakeholders, influence change and enable multiple teams to deliver successfully.
- Understanding our users’ current requirements, and anticipating future needs.
- Working with other engineering teams to create enabling technologies, to provide the best practice experience in building models on our platform.
- Maintain a deep understanding of our platform technologies and tooling capabilities, and help to inform their development.
- Own the architectural and integration decisions for the Modelling and Decision Sciences area.
We'd love to hear from you if you identify with the following:
- You have significant Python or C++ software engineering experience working on commercial software across multiple companies, industries or domains.
- You have excellent engineering and problem solving skills, and are able to design solutions under product, technology and scientific constraints.
- You are product focused, and passionate about ensuring that users understand and can easily interact with our tools.
- You are an excellent communicator, with a track record of conveying complex technical concepts to a range of audiences effectively.
- You have experience collaborating with engineers, product owners and product managers in a fast paced, technology-driven environment.
- You are calm under pressure; being able to deal with multiple risks, issues, tasks and priorities concurrently.
- You have an engineering delivery mindset: making difficult priority and technical choices that need to be made to meet an organisational goal.
- Experience working with data and building models (preferably agent-based models) a bonus
- Importantly, you are considerate, humble, and a strong believer in teamwork
Nb: While we think the above experience could be important, we can’t predict the future and so we’re keen to hear from applicants that believe they have valuable experience. If you identify with the team & mission, but not all of the suggestions, then please still apply!!
Improbable is determined to foster an environment where people can do their best work and feel like they belong. We believe a healthy culture, strong values and contribution from a diverse range of individuals will help us to achieve success.
We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, gender, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.