Improbable is dedicated to building powerful technology designed to help solve previously impossible problems and enable the creation of new realities. In gaming and entertainment, Improbable unlocks truly next-generation gameplay through virtual worlds of unprecedented scale, persistence and richness. In other industries, we hope to help answer critical questions through simulations that could lead to a better functioning world.
Our platform, SpatialOS, lets developers transcend the limits of regular computation, allowing swarms of servers running in the cloud to cooperate in order to simulate worlds far larger and more complex than any single server could.
We are a British technology company proudly building a diverse workforce, driven by a shared desire to improve and achieve extraordinary things. We’re crafting technology for the future and fostering a problem-solving culture that embraces innovation through iteration and experimentation.
As a Database Administrator, you will be a key member of the Engineering Tools team at Improbable. As a hands-on technical lead, you’ll be responsible for maintaining and extending our database and data warehouse, bringing data and data management expertise to central business functions and operations globally.
As a senior individual contributor, your work and the data insights spans the company, covering business units such as Engineering, People & Talent, Finance, Marketing and Business Development at Improbable. As your stakeholders span divisional heads, senior business managers and analysts, you will help directly impact decision-making at the highest level.
The ultimate goal of this role is to provide stakeholders with a robust data warehouse to drive analytics-ready data and insights, thereby enabling them to answer key business questions and make more informed decisions.
Areas for Impact
As one of the initial team-members of a newly formed team, you’ll be trusted to take responsibility for building out the data warehouse and analytics capabilities required to support company growth and continuous improvement.
Together with people at all levels of the company, you will influence upstream, by understanding how data is created and consequently building intuitive reporting. You will also be expected to work downstream, to support business managers drive strategy and operations through the insights we create.
You will act as a bridge between data owners and business users, facilitating good communication and high-value collaboration. This will be vital as we look to further invest in data and insights capabilities to bring data and insights for strategic decision making by senior management teams and beyond.
On a day to day basis you will be responsible for the following:
- Maintenance and extension of our database and data warehouse, as well as troubleshooting any issues identified by end users.
- Ensuring data remains consistent across the database, and that data control and access is clearly defined and controlled .
- Enabling concurrent user access to data, in a form consistent with our governance model.
- Implementing a robust data security and recovery control (ensuring all data is retrievable in an emergency).
- Monitoring performance and manage parameters to provide fast responses to front-end users.
- Mapping the design and schema for database and data warehouse, with the aim of refine the logical and physical designs for optimal accessibility and performance.
- Maintain data standards, including adherence to the Data Protection Act (GDPR and HIPAA).
We'd like to hear from you if you identify with the following
- Ability to understand and translate business needs into data and database specifications.
- Previous experience building and maintaining databases and data warehouses
- Extensive experience developing datasets using SQL and some recent experience writing SQL in Google BigQuery or an equivalent cloud SQL warehouse.
- Advanced knowledge in building and developing data warehouse solutions and connecting excel workbooks to databases to model business information.
- Interests in data modelling and statistical analysis with Python or R.
- Expertise in data visualisation, including dashboard development and design principles using Tableau or other reporting tools.
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply.
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.