Senior Technical Artist
Hark is looking for a Senior Technical Artist to join our team in creating Inkling: Origins, a 2D life simulation game focusing on fluid-based puzzles and tend-and-befriend mechanics for iOS and Android. Our ideal candidate has a strong background creating fluid simulations and cellular automata with an eye for striking visual effects.
Inkling: Origins currently uses an abstract, fluid style reminiscent of suminagashi marbling. The gameplay is most similar to flOw or Spore Origins (aka the cell stage of Spore). This is a 2D game with fluid characters and environments, and this is primarily what we'd like you to help us create. The game pushes the boundary of what is technically possible in mobile games; it’s a break-through fluid simulation game and first of its kind for mobile!
This is a full-time position. Our office is in San Francisco, but we’re open to remote workers. We’re LGBTQ+ friendly, and we support diversity, equality, and inclusion. Compensation subject to candidate fit and experience:
$140,000-200,000 salary + Cash Bonus at year end + Option scheme for token rewards.
What you’ll do:
- Work directly with other artists, engineers, and designers to establish requirements, processes, and best practices for procedurally generated art.
- Write shaders, kernels, or other code to create novel fluid interactions, creatures, or environmental objects (with support from engineers).
- Collaborate with other artists to define art styles for various levels or worlds.
- Create and maintain tools for developer and/or user generated content, such as the Creature Creator, Puzzle Creator, or World Creator.
- Readily provide mentorship to fellow artists and engineers.
Who you are:
- 5+ years of experience as a technical artist in games or related industries
- Experience working with Unity
- Experience creating fluid simulations, cellular automata, particles systems, or other procedurally generated visual effects
- Strong understanding of the game development process and the technical challenges of procedural generation
- Passion for gaming, AI, and/or crypto
- Proficient with HLSL or compute shaders (GLSL or Cg experience is ok)
- Familiar with C# or C++
- Familiar with Git & GitHub workflow
- Familiar with Agile management practices and tools, such as Trello
- Flexible art style – able to match or complement styles created by other artists
- Strong math background, particularly Linear Algebra and Partial Derivative Equations
- Experience with popular procedural generation tools, such as Processing, Golly, or Ready
- Experience with comparable games, such as flOw, Spore, PixelJunker Shooter, the Falling Sand series, Stardew Valley, Animal Crossing, Noita, etc.
This is a great opportunity to join our growing team and create a great game from the beginning! Even if you think you’re not a great fit, why not try for it anyway? We’d love to hear from you!