(Closed) Software Test Engineer
Harebrained Schemes is looking for a mid-level Software Test Engineer to help with continued development of HBS’s turn-based strategy games.
If you are a thoughtful collaborator who enjoys deconstructing complex systems within turn-based strategy games and advocating for player experience, we'd love to talk with you.
This is an on-site, full-time individual contributor role.
(Please note that we are currently working from home due to Covid-19. We will return to the office in stages when it is safe to do so. In the meantime, all interviews will be done virtually.)
What You’ll Do
- Own testing for several major feature areas on a game. Examples could include performance, combat mechanics, game campaign, DLC, console certification, etc.
- Write test plans for several major feature areas. This includes collaborating with the design, engineering, art, and production teams to understand the spec, even if design documents are not complete.
- Drive test cases for areas of ownership. Partner with our external test teams to make sure they have necessary information to get the right tests written at the appropriate time.
- Ensure tests are executed for areas of ownership and related bugs are regressed in a timely way, including collaboration with external test teams to delegate and confirm appropriate levels of coverage.
- Communicate test status of feature areas so that leads understand the state of the game and if it is on track to meet the bug bar on schedule.
- Prioritize work appropriately, even when pulled in multiple directions at once.
- Learn how to use any tools needed to ensure areas of ownership are tested successfully. Examples include Unity, Perfmon, localization test tools, game debugging tools, etc.
- Communicate successfully with external partners as needed.
- Collaborate with a QA team on effective strategies with which to test features.
What You’ll Bring
- You’ve worked on a variety of projects - big or small, indie or 1st party, PC or console or mobile, licensed or new IP, etc. - to understand the breadth of issues you have to anticipate and know that every project is different.
- You have experience as a Software Test Engineer or a Games QA with test ownership of several major feature areas.
- You have enthusiasm for QA!
- You have experience writing test cases for multiple titles.
- You have experience successfully managing tasks in environments with tight deadlines.
- You have good communication skills and are comfortable working in a highly-collaborative environment.
- New perspectives and views to the team.
- An inquisitive mindset, eye for detail, and “how can I help” attitude.
Nice to Haves
- You have played HBS’s Shadowrun or BattleTech games.
- You are passionate about turn-based tactical games.
- You have shipped a PC or console game title.
- Experience with certification testing.
- You’ve shipped a modern Unity title.
- A good understanding of PC hardware.
- Experience with Jira bug tracking software.
Employment Eligibility Requirement
Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and not require Visa sponsorship to be eligible.
What to Expect at HBS
All HBS employees
- Contribute respectfully with empathy, emotional intelligence and self-awareness
- Can work collaboratively in a team as well as on your own
- Are able to be self-directed in their work and learning
- Bring a growth mindset to the work they do
Working at HBS Means
- Work-life balance: a work family that doesn’t replace your family-family
- Flexible workday hours and work-from-home opportunities
- Time off when you need it: a wellness-first and family-first mindset
- High transparency and easy access to studio leadership
- Generous medical, dental, vision, EAP, FSA, and both short & long-term disability
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- Paid holidays including the week between Christmas and New Years Day
- 401(k) program
- Annual profit-sharing from Paradox Interactive
- Easy access off I-405 and free parking
- Skilled, passionate, and fun co-workers
- Pet-friendly office
You should apply to work at HBS if you want to:
Make amazing game experiences with co-workers who are just as passionate about their craft as you are
Be part of a project small enough (20-35 members) for everyone to have a significant impact
Join a warm, inclusive and diverse team, with a respectful and collaborative culture
Evolve and learn with us in a growth-mindset environment