Senior Level Designer
Harebrained Schemes seeks a versatile and creative Senior Level Designer to join our team for a new project! You will work alongside the Lead Designer, larger design team, and environments team to create exciting, memorable, and replayable missions for a new game.
We're looking for an experienced, self-starting design collaborator that brings a deep understanding of—and appreciation for—player experiences across a variety of genres and audiences.
This is an on-site, full-time individual contributor role. (Please note that we are currently working from home due to Covid-19. We will return to the office in stages when it is safe to do so. In the meantime, all interviews will be done virtually.)
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with the game director, department leads, and team members of all disciplines to design, implement, evaluate, and iterate on single-player game content for an unannounced title.
- Design & build levels and mission content that reinforce the game’s pillars.
- Implement interesting mission and objective ideas that allow the player to approach situations with a wide range of possible strategies within the game’s existing systems.
- Work directly with the environment art team designing levels to hit visual goals and ensure that the environment ‘reads’ well for the player.
- Collaborate with our tools engineers in the creation of practical tools and pipelines for level and mission creation. Provide insight into your workflow and actionable feedback so that our suite of tools is as efficient as we can make it for production. Advocate for more/better tools and systems when needed while continuing to work constructively within existing scope, schedule, and toolset constraints.
What You’ll Bring
- Experience as a single-player Content Designer, Level Designer, or Mission Designer on at least one shipped, professional PC or console game title.
- Experience overseeing, developing, or influencing the content tools pipeline of a professional PC or console game title.
- Strong understanding of game scripting logic.
- Experience delivering narrative content within a level.
- Experience building hand-crafted levels that contain variable content.
- Experience with iterative development and rapid prototyping.
- Familiarity with the gameplay and structure of turn-based CRPG games or turn-based tactical combat games.
- A player-first mentality with an emphasis on positive reinforcement over negative-reinforcement.
- New perspectives and views to the team
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Must be willing to take a content design test.
Nice to Haves
- A creative and unique perspective - able to use and reframe standard game mechanics in surprising ways.
- Knowledge of architecture, environment art composition principles, interior/exterior space design, etc.
- Participation in the development of tutorial experiences for a shipped game title.
- Experience with or knowledge of how procedural generation tools can create content at scale.
- Shipped at least one strategy or tactical-combat game.
- Experience working in a non-design discipline on a shipped title.
- Tabletop game design experience.
- Professional familiarity with Unity development.
Employment Eligibility Requirement
Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and not require Visa sponsorship to be eligible.
What to Expect at HBS
All HBS employees
- Contribute respectfully with empathy, emotional intelligence and self-awareness
- Can work collaboratively in a team as well as on your own
- Are able to be self-directed in their work and learning
- Bring a growth mindset to the work they do
Working at HBS Means:
- Work-life balance: a work family that doesn’t replace your family-family
- Flexible workday hours and work-from-home opportunities
- Time off when you need it: a wellness-first and family-first mindset
- High transparency and easy access to studio leadership
- Generous medical, dental, vision, EAP, FSA, and both short & long-term disability
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- Paid holidays including the week between Christmas and New Years Day
- 401(k) program
- Annual profit-sharing from Paradox Interactive
- Easy access off I-405 and free parking
- Skilled, passionate, and fun co-workers
- Pet-friendly office
You should apply to work at HBS if you want to:
- Make amazing game experiences with co-workers who are just as passionate about their craft as you are
- Be part of a project small enough (20-35 members) for everyone to have a significant impact
- Join a warm, inclusive and diverse team, with a respectful and collaborative culture
- Evolve and learn with us in a growth-mindset environment