Harebrained Schemes seeks a versatile and creative Mission Designer to join our team to make exciting, tactical turn based games like Battletech and Shadowrun Returns! You will work alongside the Lead Designer, larger design team, and environment team to create exciting, memorable, and re-playable missions for a new game.
Our ideal candidate brings with them a deep understanding of—and appreciation for— player experiences across a variety of genres and audiences.
This is an on-site, full-time individual contributor role.
(Please note that we are currently working from home due to Covid-19. We will return to the office in stages when it is safe to do so. In the meantime, all interviews will be done virtually.)
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with the game director, department leads, and team members of all disciplines to design, implement, evaluate, and iterate on single-player game content for an unannounced title.
- Design & build levels and mission content that reinforce the game’s pillars.
- Implementation of interesting mission and objective ideas that allow the player to approach situations with a wide range of possible strategies within the game’s existing systems.
- Work directly with the environment art team while designing levels to hit visual goals and ensure that the environment ‘reads’ well for the player.
- Collaborate with our tools engineers in the creation of practical tools and pipelines for level and mission creation. Provide insight into your workflow and actionable feedback so that our suite of tools is as efficient as we can make them for production. Advocate for more/better tools and systems when needed while continuing to work constructively within existing scope, schedule, and toolset constraints.
What You Bring
- Experience as a single-player Content Designer, Level Designer, or Mission Designer on at least one shipped, professional PC or console game title.
- A player-first mentality with an emphasis on positive reinforcement over negative-reinforcement.
- Experience with iterative development and rapid prototyping.
- Familiarity with the gameplay and structure of turn-based CRPG games or tactical strategy games.
- Strong understanding of game scripting logic, and verbal communication skills.
Must be willing to take a design test.
Nice to Haves
- A creative and unique perspective - able to use and reframe standard game mechanics in surprising ways.
- Knowledge of architecture, environment art composition principles, interior/exterior space design, etc.
- Experience with procedural or dynamic content.
- Shipped at least one strategy or tactical-combat game.
- Experience working in a non-design discipline on a shipped title.
- Tabletop game design experience.
- Professional familiarity with Unity development.
Employment Eligibility Requirement
Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and not require Visa sponsorship to be eligible.
All HBS employees
- Contribute respectfully with empathy, emotional intelligence and self-awareness
- Can work collaboratively in a team as well as independently
- Are able to be self-directed in their work and learning
- Bring a growth mindset to the work they do
Working at HBS Means:
- Work-life balance - a work family that doesn’t replace your family-family
- Flexible workday hours and work-from-home opportunities
- Time off when you need it - a wellness-first and family-first mindset
- High transparency and easy access to studio leadership
- Generous medical, dental, vision, EAP, FSA, and both short & long-term disability
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- Paid holidays including the week between Christmas and New Years Day
- 401(k) program
- Annual profit-sharing from Paradox Interactive
- Easy access off I-405 and free parking
- Skilled, passionate, and fun co-workers
You should apply to work at HBS if you want to:
- Make amazing game experiences with co-workers who are just as passionate about their craft as you are
- Be part of a project small enough (35-50 members) for everyone to have a significant impact
- Join a warm, inclusive and diverse team, with a respectful and collaborative culture
- Evolve and learn with us in a growth-mindset environment