Lead Artist - Sonic Mobile
Position at Hardlight
Role Overview - Lead Artist - Sonic Mobile
We are looking for a Lead Artist to take art ownership for all the live Sonic Mobile titles – Sonic Forces: Speed Battle, Sonic Dash, and Sonic Dash 2: Sonic Boom.
You could be an Art Lead with a proven track record or a Senior Artist wanting to take on more responsibility – either way, this is a great opportunity to join our talented team of artists working on our much-loved Sonic IPs!
This is a key role that will get you deep within most areas of the game’s art and production. We’re looking for someone who has knowledge and confidence in a wide range of game art skills and enjoys the development and evolution of live games.
- Help maintain and develop the games’ artistic style and visual quality.
- Inspire and motivate the art team to achieve their best, driving artistic quality by example, promoting successful teamwork, and giving feedback and direction where needed.
- Work with the producer and art director to schedule and co-ordinate the artists on the Sonic Mobile games.
- Help improve, maintain, and document art pipelines and style guides for the projects.
- Take ownership of the milestone planning, day-to-day feedback communications, and final quality of deliverables.
- Create storyboards, concepts, and mockups to help communicate with the team and stakeholders any new features and visuals.
- Be able to create high quality art for the games, single handedly and with the team – ranging from new levels, characters, SFX, and animations.
- Help support the marketing and live ops teams with marketing material, app icons, screenshots, and video trailers.
- Provide weekly updates to keep the team and company in the loop of the progress, issues, and blockers.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Excellent communication skills, collaborator, and mentor.
- Technical expertise and familiarity with Unity. Getting art in, setting up, building assets & prefabs, debugging, and improving performance.
- Excellent 2D and 3D skills - 3D modeling, texturing, and lighting.
- Proficient with industry tools like 3DS Max and Photoshop, with an ability to learn new tools.
- Unity UI knowledge
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- 5 years’ experience creating artwork for games with preferably at least 1 shipped title as an Art Lead.
- Mobile centric attitude towards art development including theme and demographic testing and developing a serviceable title for years to come.
- Player focused approach – knows what makes a game fun.
- An interest in Sonic, SEGA, and stylised games and art.
Why work at HARDlight?
- Industry leading competitive salary & corporate benefits.
- Flexible working hours.
- Season ticket loan for travel.
- Optional family private healthcare package, pensions and life insurance.
- Generous developer Bonus scheme.
- Provision of free breakfast and fruit.
- The opportunity to be a large part of a small team developing innovative titles with a huge SEGA back catalogue.
- Based in the heart of England in stunning historic Royal Leamington Spa, with great connections to London and Birmingham.