Graduate Game Designer
Halfbrick is a game developing studio that is globally recognised for its success with phone games such as Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride. Headquartered in Brisbane, with awesome teams around the world, we pride ourselves on creating games that people remember for a lifetime. Halfbrick is one of Australia’s longest running and most successful game developers. Our success is built on a culture that encourages passion, enthusiasm, a willingness to learn and an openness towards trying different approaches to how we make games.
Why you’ll love it
We believe our culture is a leading factor to our success and helps us to attract and retain the best talent! We work hard to foster an intensely collaborative, fun, and creative environment, with training and professional growth opportunities at our forefront. We strongly believe and endorse equal opportunity employment and value diversity at Halfbrick. We’re a tight knit crew who celebrate self-expression, and hey, some perks never hurt either.
Here are just a few of the things we like to offer our Bricks:
- Salary sacrificing for phones, laptops, gaming consoles, superannuation and novated lease.
- Relocation assistance.
- Career development and mentorship.
- Mental health support.
- Treats on your birthday.
- Flexible working hours.
- Part time work options.
- Remote working.
- Open management without bureaucracy.
- Extra leave benefits.
- Loads of social events.
- Awesome rewards and recognition opportunities.
About the opportunity
It’s a little-known fact that a lot of our Brick's have joined Halfbrick as fresh graduates – so we know the value they can bring! We are geared up and excited to welcome a new wave of graduates into the Halfbrick team, and we hope that you’re up for the challenge!
We have multiple opportunities available to work within teams that are transforming mobile phone entertainment through quality content and innovative ideas. We are committed to growing our Bricks, and you will be given the opportunity to grow inside a friendly and professional team. You will be among hard-working, dedicated, and incredibly talented individuals.
As we welcome you into our tight knit community, we promise to offer you ample opportunities to grow and do your best work, and ultimately love what you’re doing each day. In return, we ask you to:
- Demonstrate capability and high-quality work.
- Quickly disseminate and adopt new processes and methodology.
- Work with and assist your fellow Bricks to develop world class content, with a focus on innovation and creativity.
- Question and seek information from peers.
- Actively participate in creative meetings, contributing viable ideas.
- Constructively contribute to team culture through positive attitude and living the values.
- Articulate concepts and ideas in a clear and unambiguous way.
- Draw upon personal experience to determine best approach for task completion.
- Check own work for quality and accuracy.
- Ability to design levels.
- Core gameplay design (e.g. control systems, player mechanics, game balancing).
- Game economy design.
- Experience with rapid game prototyping (or game jams).
- Experience in playtesting and gathering user feedback: you will be doing this a lot at Halfbrick, so having experience with observing, asking questions, and actioning the feedback will help.
- Experience working in teams: designers often have to give direction and it’s important to know your team’s strengths and weaknesses
- Experience on game projects: this is probably the most important part. We really want to see that you’re applying game design and gaining experience through that. It doesn’t matter if the games aren’t amazing or original - we just want to see that you’re dedicated. The more the better! And please include what role you had in working on the game
- Any sort of scripting or programming ability is a great bonus!
- We don’t expect the grads to have industry experience but showing experience in those areas in uni projects (or personal projects) is what we look for.
- Most importantly, help create awesome games!
- Relevant qualifications to your discipline.
The successful candidate
Perhaps you’ve spent one too many nights up late gaming. Maybe you have really flexible thumbs. Possibly you have a vendetta for fruit. Either way, you love our games and you want to be part of creating something special! If you think you have what it takes to raise our talent bar, then you're exactly what we're looking for.
Some other bits about you:
- Talented and experienced.
- Confident in your skills.
- Interested and concerned with the details.
- Passionate about mobile games.
- A clear and concise communicator.
- A true team player.
- Poised, not scared to speak up with the team, and mature.
- A proactive and positive thinker.