Game Server Engineer (Java)
Guerrilla, the Amsterdam-based developer of Horizon Zero Dawn, is looking for a Game Server Engineer to support our Online Tech team with upcoming projects.
Our Online Tech team
Our Online Tech team builds reliable, maintainable and performant online systems. We work with various other disciplines to create tools needed to build online game features. We deliver the networking and replication layers for both game client and server, integration with online platform services (e.g. PSN), authentication, matchmaking, leaderboards, and online player profiles. The team works in close collaboration with our Online Infrastructure team, which designs and maintains the build and deployment environments for our servers.
To sync multiple game clients in real time we’re using C++ and a custom UDP-based protocol. For everything else we use industry-standard web technologies: Java, Tomcat and Spring. Our game communicates through REST and has a persistent HTTPS connection to receive notifications. We share as little state as possible between web instances and use Hazelcast to synchronize when needed. We use Amazon EKS to host our servers and use other AWS services like S3 and DynamoDB to store persistent data. We also maintain a modern Angular app to facilitate moderation and run-time service management.
What You Will Do
- Help build a highly scalable and highly available online server environment;
- Work on player systems focused on persistence, safety, retention, and engagement;
- Cooperate with multiple internal stakeholders and disciplines to achieve the game’s vision;
- Develop, test and maintain our zero downtime deployment system;
- Integrate the game servers with the PlayStation Network and other third party services;
- Help build and maintain the Angular management app if you are comfortable with TypeScript;
- Help integrate the backend services in the game client if you are comfortable with C++;
- Work closely with the DevOps Engineers in the Online Infrastructure team to ensure robustness, scalability and performance of our servers;
- Keep up to date with the Java world and introduce new technologies when they are relevant for Guerrilla.
Who You Are
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You have 2+ years of Java server development experience (game industry experience is a plus);
- You are comfortable working on a large codebase;
- You have a firm grasp on software design and architecture, and enjoy writing code that is both maintainable and performant;
- You have a deep understanding of web-related technologies (e.g. HTTP, REST, Message Queuing);
- You have experience with version control systems such as Git and Perforce;
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills;
- You have a helpful, solution-minded approach;
- Have an interest in online gaming.
If you are up for the challenge, hit the “apply now” button to submit your application to us. Be sure to submit your CV, motivation letter, and a Java code sample that shows your best and most recent work. We would love to see structured programming as code examples and a demo presenting relevant work to the position. For more information, please contact Riem Halawani (Sr. Talent Acquisition Business Partner) through [email protected]