Esports and Student Life Specialist
Grays Harbor College seeks applications for the position of Esports and Student Life Specialist position. This position reports to the Director of Student Life and is overseen by the Esports Steering Committee. The Esports and Student Life Specialist builds and maintains the College gaming community by providing students with direct competitive gaming opportunities, hosting and participating in community gaming tournaments, and engaging the student body with opportunities for growth in the esports ecosystem of broadcasting, production, graphics/media design, and more.
GHC has a strong commitment to the achievement of equity and inclusion among its faculty, staff, and students and values the rich, diverse backgrounds that make up the campus community. The College is focused on strategies for success and equitable outcomes for all. We are seeking a candidate who has an understanding of, and experience with, successfully supporting individuals with varying backgrounds, including people with disabilities; people with various gender identities and sexual orientations; individuals from historically underrepresented communities; and other groups.
Grays Harbor College has an excellent benefits package to include comprehensive health care insurance, primary and supplemental retirement programs, long-term disability insurance, vacation and sick leave, and employee tuition waivers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- League / Season Management: Maintain formal varsity teams in national esports leagues across two seasons each year, fielding students in multiple titles. Provide common student-athlete program functions such as jersey and equipment check out, the recording of team and individual season statistics, league registration and weekly games, and student athlete photos.
- Student Growth: Maintain existing virtual coaching relationships and build new ones as needed to bring in appropriate coaching resources for competitive student-athletes and individual teams. Must promote the academic success of student-athletes to include monitoring academic performance to ensure eligibility requirements are met; and encourage student athletes to maintain a high academic standard. Foster growth for non-competitive students by providing opportunities in broadcasting, production, statistics, graphics and motion video design, and more.
- Broadcasting: Use broadcast software to stream league play games online, maintaining our high production quality including titles, scoreboards, game capture, transitions, casters (remote and on-prem), audio levels, and other elements of broadcast production.
- Community: Provide regular events for the student body and the local community to play competitive and casual games, keeping a student-centered focus on culture and academic success.
- Coach Recruitment: Recruit virtual coaches for varsity competitive titles to support individual and team skill advancement.
- Student Recruitment: Recruit students to fill teams for fall and spring seasons, with major recruiting window during and after spring season. Work with GHC recruitment staff to attend LANs, high school recruiting events, and other outreach opportunities.
- Fundraising: Cultivate corporate sponsorships for scholarships and program support. Works with GHC Foundation and Athletics program where appropriate.
- Social media: Maintain the GHC Esports social media accounts to engage, advertise, and support college goals.
- Student Life: Provide assistance to student organizations, events, and programs.
- Supervise: Supervise student work study positions, Americorps esports volunteers, and non-competitive students as needed to support the esports program.
- Budget: Support Director of Student Life in managing budget; tracking direct program expenses, and ensuring financial resources are used efficiently.
- Game Management: Periodically support traditional athletics program scoreboard keeping, during esports off-seasons.
Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or work experience related to technology, education or communications
- Competitive gaming experience within an organization or formal team
- Experience with broadcast platforms, such as Twitch, vMix, xsplit, OBS / Streamlabs, NDI, and similar
- Commitment to working with and building diverse populations
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- High degree of technical literacy (MS Office, gaming titles, and related)
- Minimum of 1 year experience supporting esports teams and programs
- Demonstrated experience building and maintaining online communities
- Copy writing
- Demonstrated understanding of inclusion, social justice, multiculturalism, and social change models/theories
- Strong leadership track record