Gram Games is the studio behind some of the most popular mobile titles like 1010!, Six! and Merge Dragons!. We’ve recently released Merge Magic! and we have more awesome projects in the pipeline. We do things differently here: we work in small self-managing teams, enabling you to have an incredible amount of ownership, autonomy and impact. We'll never ask you to abandon your craft and just focus on managing others or workload.
At Gram everyone is expected to have a razor-sharp focus on what creates tangible impact: impact on their team, impact on their work environment and impact on the overall company strategy. If you are motivated by autonomy, constant improvement, collaboration and the sense of belonging this is the right job for you.
We are looking for a new member to join our QA team at Gram Games to ensure top quality testing standards and processes are employed for all our releases giving our players experiences they love. You will independently lead a team’s test strategy and lead the end-to-end testing of everything related to your team. Fully embedded, you’ll be a pillar of great practice and knowledge for junior internal QA staff. You’ll already have built a toolbox of manual functional testing skills to apply to new project challenges.
Come join us! You’ll find a dynamic and engaging culture while having the opportunity to be a key component in the delivery of major features for a franchise title.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
Scope of Responsibility: Contribute to a multi-discipline, highly agile game team and lead the test strategy for everything crafted by the team. The Senior QA Engineer knows how to approach manual test creation for different scenarios, what level of detail to use and what software packages to use in the creation of those tests: Test Sessions in JIRA, scripted suites TestRail or otherwise.
Effective vendor use: Performing in-sprint component testing yourself and coordinating other tests to be run by your external vendor team. Set the standard for test estimations and coordination processes, knows what good internal & external cohesion looks like and is confident at getting the most from vendor relationships.
Information, Reporting and Communication: Being adept at crafting tests that get the clearest results and then summarising that test data into useful, digestible, reports for the internal feature team to action. Knowing when an email report is more effective than an instant message and when a face-to-face is the way to go.
Decision making: Recognise the balance between quality and other business priorities; knowing the ROI of testing and how to navigate difficult project decisions.
Best Practice and Mentoring: Promoting QA best practices and running, mentoring and training for junior members of the internal and external QA teams. Represent QA during planning meetings and retrospectives.
- Strong initiative and ability to proactively self-manage; always looking for new and better solutions to existing challenges.
- Strong experience working in a game studio as part of a feature/sprint team or similar
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills, backed up with a proactive approach to knowledge sharing.
- Strong experience and effective use of external test teams to execute your test plans. (Task estimation, team organisation, task prioritisation, etc.)
- Expert understanding of software QA and games development practices and terminology (ideally in relation to mobile games or live-supported games).
- Previous experience with bug databases, preferably JIRA.
- Experience using a test management system, preferably TestRail.
- Strong experience taking part in sprints, being involved in planning, retrospectives and estimations
- Experience of QA within pre-production projects and prototyping phases
- Experience of Live Ops and Games-as-a-service projects
- ISTQB/ISEB Foundation certifications or equivalent certifications
- Experience working on mobile platforms: iOS, Android and Amazon
- Experience with testing client/server interactions
- Understanding of how software architecture influences the amount of testing required, including optimizing tests that utilize the same code paths.
- Familiarity with development environments such as Xcode, Visual Studio, Android SDK, Unity, Unreal or similar
- Familiarity with source control and branching, such as GIT or SVN
- Experience of technical areas and tooling: Network tools, Performance tools, Analytics tools, API test tooling, Automation frameworks, device farms, or similar
- Competitive salary, bonus plan, Zynga RSU’s (Restricted Stock Units), ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan)
- RRSP Company Match Contribution
- Extended Health coverage, dental, disability, critical illness, EAP, and life insurance
- Virtual mental health and neurodiversity support programs
- Goodlife fitness annual membership
- Open vacation policy
- Family planning support program
- Generous paid maternity/parental leave
- Subsidized Back-up child care
- Zynga happy hours and frequent employee events
- Casual dress every single day
- Culture of diversity and inclusion including employee resource groups
- Work with cool people and impact millions of daily players