(Closed) Features Editor
A little bit about us…
We’re an esports media business with the aim to become the leading destination for gamers and die-hard esports enthusiasts through useful, credible, and entertaining content that inspires and educates fans about the world of esports.
We’re a fun, young team looking for a passionate, enthusiastic, and innovative individual to add value to our rapidly-growing business.
We are looking for a creative and experienced editor, with a passion for esports and gaming, to lead our features team. Either based out of Manchester (UK), or willing to relocate.
As the Features Editor, you will be responsible for keeping track of all the features content, assigning stories to our Journalists, approving pitches, mentoring junior members of staff, and using your esports knowledge to ensure that we are the go-to publisher for fans.
You will also work with the Trending News Editor to get our content out on a variety of social media platforms, as well as utilising SEO techniques for the best possible results.
The role will also include researching, compiling, and editing content specific to the esports industry, and will therefore require impeccable grammar skills and attention to detail. The Features Editor will have vast knowledge of esports, gaming, and its communities and will find and develop industry-leading stories.
You will report to the Head of Editorial. You will delegate responsibilities to the Journalists (freelance and in-house), as well as the Subeditor & Freelancer Coordinator.
On a day-to-day basis, you will be required to build a schedule of content, decide which pitches we are approving for publication, and mentor staff.
You will also:
- Edit and publish content on both the website and social media.
- Assist Journalists and freelance staff in generating ideas for world-class esports content.
- Research and aggregate regular daily and weekly content, including mentoring a team of staff and freelance writers.
- Build a pipeline of relevant, industry-leading stories.
- Write features as and when needed.
- Organise interviews with key players in esports, as well as delegating them to members of staff.
- Guide Journalists and freelancers when they are approaching talent for interviews, as well as assisting them with generating relevant questions.
- Keep up to date with the rapidly evolving landscape of esports.
- Assist planning of event coverage.
- Package content to go out on a variety of social media platforms and use innovation to identify new ways of providing content to our audiences.
- Edit and re-write articles, occasionally rejecting or returning content to the writer for revision.
- Understand and comply with media law and industry ethical guidelines.
Key Department Skillset
- Proven working experience in journalism – preferably at management level
- Vast knowledge of esports – expert level
- Social media proficiency
- SEO knowledge
- The ability to multitask
- Ability to follow strict deadlines and fast-check information
- Computer proficiency (MS Office, digital editing, web search)
- Excellent communication and networking skills
- Good observation and deduction skills
- Integrity and morality
- Openly able to travel, such as attending events for the business
- Be flexible with working hours, as per the business needs, such as working evenings and weekends
- Desired: Degree in journalism or relevant field
- Desired: A vast set of contacts within the gaming/esports industry
GGRecon is an equal opportunities employer. We are determined to create a diverse group at all levels of our company and we welcome all members of the community to apply for openings with us.
Are you interested?
Please send an email including an introduction, CV and why you’ll be a great candidate by clicking the ‘email application’ button.
Also, if you have any further questions, please send them directly to the email attached below.