The Gearbox Entertainment Company is an award-winning creator and distributor of entertainment for people around the world. Gearbox Entertainment develops and publishes products through its subsidiaries, Gearbox Software and Gearbox Publishing. Gearbox Entertainment has become widely known for successful game franchises including Brothers in Arms and Borderlands, as well as acquired properties Duke Nukem and Homeworld. Gearbox’s ambition is to entertain the world and its key driving objectives include the pursuit of happiness for our talent, partners and customers, the prioritization of entertainment and creativity and a measured respect for profitability.
Gearbox Software is looking for an experienced programmer who can build game servers. This engineer needs to bridge the gap between game code, Gearbox's backend RESTful services, and cloud hosting platforms. Ideally this isn’t your first rodeo: Candidates should be fluent in C++, as that's where they will be doing most of their work. However, knowledge of cloud platforms such as AWS as well as web technologies (HTTP, JSON, WebSocket, Golang) is also essential. Postman and Curl should be familiar tools, and Linux knowledge is a plus. A typical workday might consist of writing game server code in C++, deploying a fleet of server instances and monitoring traffic between them and player clients.
- Build and maintain C++ game server code that communicates with Gearbox and third-party cloud services
- Work closely with our backend services team to help them shape the RESTful microservices the game depends on
- Build properly scaled telemetry solutions into game server code so that we can track server usage data over time
- Diagnose problems that occur with live game servers, whether for QA internally or in real customer circumstances
- Optimize game server code in order to maximize server instance counts per VM
- Monitor fleets of game servers at scale across multiple regions to track matchmaking balance
- Excellent understanding of C++
- Good understanding of web technologies and RESTful paradigms
- Able to mockup web services and deploy to cloud hosting platforms such as AWS
- Can deploy, monitor and debug remote services
- Excellent communication skills
- Independent and self-motivated
Bonus Points For:
- Professional game development experience. Shipped titles are a plus
- Linux experience
- Experience with Unreal Engine
Gearbox Entertainment believes that all team members should be able to enjoy a work environment free from all forms of discrimination and harassment. We are committed to reflecting the diversity of the world we strive to entertain. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we provide fair and equal treatment to all team members and applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law.