A senior writer is an accomplished, proven professional with a history of quality work that has been released to the public. Senior writers are capable of performing all writing functions on a project, including a lead writer position. Senior writers are not only expected to meet writing goals and deadlines, but to play a heavy role in identifying writing tasks and holding the team to standards of quality. Senior writers should be the type of person every project wants on their side.
- Write main missions, side missions, battle dialog, and any other writing assigned to the creation of stories
- Lead a writer’s room with a group of writers, guiding collaborative story improvements and working with the team to punch-up dialog
- Collaborate with other writers, narrative groups, and developers of all disciplines to develop stories for Gearbox
- When assigned, function as Lead Writer of a project or project area. Lead writers guide the tone, content and writing strategy for the assigned project.
- Review and/or edit submissions from other writers, both internal and external
- Occasionally, interact with marketing events and press in the promotion of our games
- 5+ years of professional writing experience
- Has shipped at least one AAA game or has equivalent experience. Specifically, the writer must have previous work that is published and has been publicly critiqued, ideally related to work on a collaborative project.
- Excellent collaboration skills, and a track record of developing and maintaining constructive professional relationships with colleagues across multiple disciplines and degrees of seniority. A senior writer is a gracious collaborator, able to put their ego aside in order to co-develop content with other stakeholders and designers.
- Ability to proactively identify undefined writing needs and develop strategies and deadlines to fulfill those needs
- Ability to balance quality, workload, and deadlines. Senior Writers can identify places where the writing meets quality targets for the project and adjust their strategies and priorities accordingly.
- Strong passion and ability for comedic or satiric writing.
- Skilled in writing entertaining and engaging dialogue with meaningful character interactions.
- Strong editing skills
- Ability to develop style and tone for a character or project and can instruct others in crafting additional writing in that style and tone.
- Mastery of professional writing tools (Final Draft, Word, WriterDuet, etc).
- Broad knowledge of successful stories and franchises across all media
- Must be local or willing to relocate to the North Dallas area (relocation assistance available for successful candidate).
- Experience with critiquing and/or mentoring junior writers.
- Familiar with the VO casting and recording process and is comfortable and capable to assist in casting and direction of VO actors.
- Experience in other areas of game development (game design, narrative design, etc.)
- Experience with game editors and text and dialog systems in games editors.