Senior Release Engineer (DevOps)
Spark is the Gearbox Software team behind SHiFT, our online services platform that serves millions of users every month across multiple gaming franchises. SHiFT is our one-stop-shop gaming services platform responsible for dozens of features gamers around the world depend on every day, from cross-play to friend presence, citizen science, dedicated server hosting, matchmaking, and much more. Spark is passionate about delivering features for our gaming partners that are relevant, dependable, and secure. We take pride in the stability of our platform and are always looking for ways to take that stability to new levels. Our team is agile with a commitment to seeing features go from desktop to production in minutes, not days.
To further drive our vision of premier stability and rapid feature delivery, we are looking for a Senior Build and Release Engineer to join our growing DevOps team. As a senior release engineer on Spark, you will be responsible for the design, development, and implementation of flexible cloud-based CI/CD pipelines with an automation-first emphasis. You will be challenged along the way to adopt the shared mentality that automation is everything and you will push for that philosophy to be actualized throughout the group. As a senior release engineer, you should be comfortable integrating multiple technologies together to form a robust automated delivery solution, capable of building and transferring thousands of different builds in parallel via automation and on-demand. When challenged with designing and implementing a new feature in the pipeline, you should be comfortable discussing designs at length in a room with other technical minds. You also recognize that the best designs come from collaboration, not dictation, and are willing to bring implementations to the table with an open mind.
Tl;dr: You will be deeply immersed in AWS as the primary build and release engineer for a cloud-native CI/CD pipeline that manages a matrix of nearly 1,000 different builds/artifacts at any given time; plenty of development sprinkled in as well, your choice of Python or Go.
Your days will be filled with building solutions to technical challenges in automation, build, and release orchestration. You will evangelize automation best practices, call out gaps in observability, and be immensely concerned with the reliability, predictability, and speed of the pipelines you build. You will help manage and orchestrate each of these by leaning heavily on technologies like Terraform and Python. On any given day, you should expect to spend at least 75% of your time actively developing new solutions; the rest of your time will typically be a mixture of reviewing code from your colleagues, participating in design meetings, responding to ad-hoc requests, documentation, and self-development.
This position may require you to carry a company-paid mobile device and participate in 24/7 on-call rotations alongside your engineering colleagues. Don't worry though, our on-call experience doesn't suck.
- Act as the technical expert for the instrumentation of build and release management on our SDK team. You will be the primary build and release engineer for the team, taking ownership of the design and development of cloud-native CI/CD pipelines, built in AWS.
- Collaborate frequently with SDK developers to update and maintain multi-platform build pipeline features, with a security-first mindset
- Collaborate with fellow DevOps engineers, contributing technical guidance and helping establish best practices for build and release management
- Design, develop, and maintain tooling to support cloud-based CI/CD pipelines capable of scaling to thousands of concurrent builds and artifacts
- Work alongside technical leadership to organize technical roadmaps into achievable work
Must Have (the non-negotiable parts):
- Expertise in build and release best practices, security, and automation
- Minimum of 5 years professional experience in developing and maintaining complex cloud based CICD pipelines
- Minimum of 3 years professional experience in AWS; specifically, in VPCs, EC2, CloudFormation, Storage
- Professional development experience with at least one of: Go, Python
- Professional experience with at least on of: Terraform, CloudFormation
- Comfortable communicator, able to clearly detail designs and implementations on an individual level and in large group settings
Should Have (some wiggle room):
- Computer Science degree or 4+ years’ experience as a professional software engineer in a cloud-first environment
- Experience building, running, and supporting containers; preferably Docker and preferably AWS ECS
Now you're just showing off:
- Familiarity with C/C++
- Familiarity with Jenkins
- Familiarity with JFrog Artifactory
- Familiarity with cross-compilation toolchains
- Familiarity with build systems, including: msbuild, cmake, conan, meson, UBT, Swift Package Manager, Gradle
- Familiarity with UE4 and/or Unity
- Familiarity with Perforce
- Familiarity with Git
- Experience working with developers in an agile environment
- Professional game development experience