Senior Content Artist (Weapons and Gear)
The Gearbox Entertainment Company is an award-winning creator and distributor of entertainment for people around the world. Gearbox Entertainment develops and publishes products through its subsidiaries, Gearbox Software and Gearbox Publishing. Gearbox Entertainment has become widely known for successful game franchises including Brothers in Arms and Borderlands, as well as acquired properties Duke Nukem and Homeworld. Gearbox’s ambition is to entertain the world and its key driving objectives include the pursuit of happiness for our talent, partners and customers, the prioritization of entertainment and creativity and a measured respect for profitability.
Senior Content Artist (Weapons and Gear)
Gearbox Software is looking for an experienced hard-surface artist to join our weapons and gear team. We have a strong history of going hard on making the most badass, fun, cutting edge (no pun intended) weapons and loot in the games industry and we need talented artists like YOU to help us continue to lead the charge on our next onslaught of upcoming projects!
If you have a passion for making complicated mechanical objects, futuristic industrial/automotive designs, or even weapons made from sawblades/chainsaws/glass bottles a reality, this could be the opportunity for you!
- Create awesome and detailed high poly models of weapons & gear
- Build high quality proxy/block-out meshes based off varying detail levels of concept that will carry through rigging, animation, design and FX.
- Pull from a large catalog of established manufacturer design languages to make sure shape, details, function, etc. adhere to the high-level art direction
- Take on technical tasks to help improve weapon team pipeline
- Create variations and customizations as necessary with UE4/5 material system
- Collaborate with the team lead and Concept Artists to help craft exciting designs that meet our aesthetic & quality standards
- Assist with feedback & guidance with external partners at all stages of the development process
- Must be highly experienced in the overall 3D art pipeline. High and Low Poly creation, Advanced UV layout and utility channels, advanced mask creation for procedural and dynamic materials, and a strong understand of the Unreal Engine Material system.
- Must show a strong aptitude for hard surface modeling with a focus on complex machinery, ‘functional’ engineering and elaborate industrial design. Ability to handle organics where needed is a major plus. Cloth wraps, flesh mixed with machinery, stone etc.
- Must be extremely proficient in 3D Studio Max, Zbrush (Or equivalent sculpting package), Photoshop, Substance Painter/Designer and UE4/5.
- Be available and able to give feedback, notes and technical direction for internal and external artist when needed.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to collaborate with a large team -- interfacing with departments such as design, animation, rigging and concept to collaborate and problem solve.
- Able to understand complex additive/modular systems and hierarchy and design to these constraints
- A general understanding of rigging and animations as well as how 3D impacts that is a must.
- Experience with PBR, as well as the ability to create stylized materials and textures within that, is a major plus.
Bonus Points for:
- Being totally cool working with some of the most talented (and humble) artists in the industry!
- Real world experience and knowledge of firearms and how they function.
- Examples of existing tools, scripts, plugins, etc. you have created for the listed pipeline software.
- Sketching, Drawing, Concept, Painting skills.
- A passion for automotive design and mechanical engineering.
- A strong understanding of UE4/5 outside of listed responsibilities including tools, materials, lighting, rendering, blueprint, etc.
Gearbox Entertainment believes that all team members should be able to enjoy a work environment free from all forms of discrimination and harassment. We are committed to reflecting the diversity of the world we strive to entertain. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we provide fair and equal treatment to all team members and applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law.