Engine Programmer, Unreal Engine
In addition to our games, Gearbox supports a suite of online services known as Shift. Shift powers many of our online features including crossplay, telemetry, player rewards, and more.
The Shift team is looking for an Engine Programmer. The SHiFT SDK is an engine agnostic suite of applications, tools, and libraries written in C, C++, and C# that enable games to communicate with our services. Your role will be to develop and maintain the Unreal engine plugins that provide SHiFT functionality to shipping titles.
You will also work closely with – and directly support – internal and external titles in active development. This support can take many forms, from answering questions over chat to planning and eventually directly integrating our SDK into a game title.
While you're not busy supporting a title, you will spend your time developing and maintaining the SHiFT plugins as we add new features and refine the SHiFT SDK.
Experience designing software that is modular, scales well and is highly interoperable will be important (some game coders are weaponized and don't take kindly to inconsistent or inconvenient coding interfaces.) Since this is an SDK that provides an API, documentation will be important. You don't have to be one of those weirdos that enjoys writing documentation, but it couldn't hurt.
- Work with game teams to provide the best possible SDK that leverages the SHiFT platform
- UE4/UE5 plugin development of new SDK features
- UE4/UE5 plugin maintenance of existing SDK features
- Work with QA to ensure they have ways of recognizing and diagnosing issues that may arise
- Write automation tests that verify functionality of SDK features
- Develop and maintain our internal UE demo game
- Source level experience with Unreal Engine 4
- Solid grasp of Modern C++
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science or related technical discipline
- 3+ years of software development and product delivery experience
- Must be a quick study to learn new technologies
- Able to collaborate with multiple parties on design and standards decisions
Bonus Points For:
- Experience with Unreal Engine 5 and/or Unity Engine
- Multiple platform development experience (Windows, Linux, game consoles, etc.)
- Familiarity with web technologies like REST or WebSockets
Gearbox Entertainment believes that all team members should be able to enjoy a work environment free from all forms of discrimination and harassment. We are committed to reflecting the diversity of the world we strive to entertain. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we provide fair and equal treatment to all team members and applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law.