Art Director (Casual Game)
You've been working on the mobile game market as an Art Director for a while and you are ready to work on something exciting and spectacular?
On games where millions of people worldwide will be admiring your work?
You're in the right place because Gameloft Budapest is looking for an Art Director.
About Gameloft Hungary
Our studio has been operating in Budapest for more than 8 years, and our goal is to develop casual and mid-core games that bring relaxation and fun to millions of users on a daily basis. Until now we worked on games like Iron Man 3, City Mania, Disney Getaway Blast and Dragon Mania Legends. The latter is one of Gameloft's most successful projects, with well over 50 million downloads!
What can you expect from us?
- We are an 80-person game development studio in downtown Budapest
- We have diverse backgrounds and we all love to work on games and share ideas with each other
- The team will be international, we have several foreign colleagues
- Exercising your creativity when solving tasks is much appreciated
- You may be working on games using famous brands such as Marvel or Disney
Why work for us?
- We are creating awesome games enjoyed by millions of players worldwide
- Our office is in the downtown area, Boráros Square. It is on the Pest side of the Petofi bridge, and can be easily reached by public transport
- We have a flexible work schedule that can fit in most of your requirements (also in this current situation we are working from home)
- Good performance is always recognized, so if the game you're working on makes a profit, you will receive regular bonuses
- Never go to work on your birthday (you get extra leave for that day)
- We value health, which is why all our employees benefit from a private health insurance plan. This includes free access to an unlimited number of specialist appointments, an annual health screening, as well as flu vaccinations
- Every summer we have a studio wide team building activity (we've been to paintball, quad, soap box, of course, we always have a goulash)
- Every year we organize several Game Jams where we take care of the food and drinks and you can just focus on having fun alongside your teammates
- Coffee, tea and fruits are always at your disposal
- We have an Employee Assistance Program (legal, financial, life management and mental health services)
- You'll also get a fitness pass which gives you access to all Life1 venues in the city
We are looking for a self-motivated, energetic individual who will collaborate with our Top Management, Art teams, Developers, and Designers to define the game’s art style.
The projects in question include social / casual video games for devices such as iPhone, iPad, tablets and other portable platforms.
As a key member of the team’s management core, you’ll take charge of the initial concept and overall visuals seeing them through to final delivery.
What will be your responsibilities?
- This is a hands-on position. You are a passionate artist but also a leader with genuine visual ideas defining various art styles, creating highly appealing proof of concepts, sharing your experience and expertise to help your team and fellow artists excel in their craft.
- Establish style and vision of the game including environment, character, title screen, and user interface look and feel.
- Ensure the quality follow-up in the production process including fast prototyping stage while working with real-time engines such as Unity, Unreal and others.
- Managing the Art development processes, limitations, and dependencies across mediums.
- Managing teams of 10 or more artists.
- Understanding and efficiently implementing the industry pipelines and able to manage challenging deadlines.
- Work alongside other creatives in the studio.
What are the qualifications you need for this position?
- At least 3 years of experience in Art Directing, managing Art teams, shipping at least one title.
- At least 5 years of experience in the video game industry or similar creative research and development environments.
- Bachelor degree of Computer Graphics/ Graphic Design/ Media Arts/ Fine Arts/ or Other.
- Proven storytelling and concept Art skills.
- Strong foundation in the traditional Arts.
- Superior eye for light, value, color and composition.
- Strong, proven knowledge and skills in graphic design principles, fonts, layout design, user interface function and design (tailored for social / casual games – clean, simple, fresh and readable art assets)
- Able to adapt to the great diversity of visual styles no matter if stylized or realistic.
- Good team player with excellent communication, negotiation, and teaching skills.
- Open to creative feedback, providing direct hands-on solutions to either positive or constructive criticism in a timely fashion.
- Highly organized with solid time management skills, strongly motivated and with a great desire to prove himself within the company.
- Optimistic problem solver including complex technical issues, able to learn and master new tools and techniques.
- Excellent level of written and spoken English.
- Passion for video games.
- Deep understanding of the mobile games market and their demographics is a big plus.
- 3D background in hard surface and organic modeling, texturing, animation, FX, and post production for video games is a plus.
- Experience working with game engines, implementing 3D work into the pipeline is a plus.
- Experience working with outsourcers is a plus.