Art Director - New F2P story-driven RPG game
What You'll Be Up To
A new F2P story-driven RPG game is brewing in the newly formed team based in the Barcelona studio of GameHouse! As their successful Art Director you will be responsible for creating and maintaining an inspiring visual style and art vision for the game. You are responsible for the growth, motivation and scaling of the art team. Combining personalities, qualities and challenges within a team into a relentless desire to craft ever better art for our story games. You are a generalist with the ability to rally the team behind your art vision and know how to collaborate with all disciplines of the team to create the best game out there.
A leader within GameHouse enjoys autonomy, embraces our purpose and is always developing his or her own craftsmanship. At the same time we expect a leader to give autonomy and make the development of each individual in the team a top priority. Curiosity is in your DNA as you try to understand how other studios and teams within GameHouse and the wider industry craft exceptional games. You report directly to the Game Director of your team.
- Help build an amazing team of motivated and talent artists by adding new talent to the team
- Lead our artists, both internally and externally to produce great game art
- Mentor and drive the growth of your art team
- Set a clear art vision, define art guidelines, provide accurate feedback, and ensure a consistent art style across all areas of the product
- Own the art pipelines, making sure the workflow is efficient and serves the team’s needs
- Manage the art production schedule to ensure content ships on time, and at great quality
- Work directly with writers, designers and developers to create a great story-driven game
- Help foster communication and collaboration related to art between all GameHouse studios
GameHouse has a deep passion for creating casual story driven games. It’s built around people that have been in the industry for 10+ years and we're gamers, comic lovers, creative artists, story writers, who need to self express by sculpting, coding, drawing and writing. We pride on cut-the-bullshit and just build it when it comes to new stuff. We don’t mind discussing what is good and talking about what needs to be improved. We operate in small teams with a high level of autonomy and responsibility. We care deeply about the characters and worlds that we build.
Along with more than 100 passionate people, you will be a part of a globally-focused team with locations in Eindhoven (HQ), Barcelona & Madrid.
When are you doing a good job?
- There is trust, collaboration and honest conversations in the team that result in high motivation and in joy in working together
- You have attracted new talent that have joined and strengthened the art team
- The art team is showing growth and good collaboration due to your motivating and inspiring leadership skills
- There is a clear art vision for the game that the whole team is inspired by
- You continue to show personal growth which results in making more impact within the team and within GameHouse - we simply can’t do without you anymore!
- When you are generally a nice person to work with and we can have some fun too ☺️
What Makes Us Awesome
- We are a medium-sized stable company with approx. 100 people that has been around for the last 15 years.
- Be part of a creative team that is driven by characters and their worlds, be part of early product development, and drive how our players will be engaged with our game for the next 10 years
- Low hierarchy, ability to work autonomous without needless sign-off
- Social culture with good team spirit, eager to learn from your experience
- Have a good work/life balance and work in a family-friendly environment.
Studio Bonus: There is a direct link between the creators’ input and the success or failure of a game. Therefore 5% of the net revenue of a game will be contributed to a studio bonus pool annually, uncapped.
- Restaurant card that allows you to purchase a free lunch at places of your choice
- Employee Book Buying Program
- Public transport card
- Language classes
- Sports program (½ off)
Why You're Awesome:
- 5+ years experience working in game art roles (2+ in a Lead role)
- You have experience in live content-driven F2P mobile games that need to be maintained for a significant period of time
- You know how to set and communicate an art vision for a game and you have advanced understanding of composition, color, form and lighting
- You have good knowledge and understanding of UI and 2D and 3D art in order to help your team members with their work
- You care for and understand the audience that the art is created for and you actively seek feedback and validation from the audience
- You enjoy and excel at working in close collaboration with other disciplines like writers, designers, product management and developers
- You have experience working and executing an art pipeline and to build a workflow for art
- Giving (and receiving!) feedback is one of your top skills and you know how to deliver it in a way that is constructive, clear and motivating so that your art team can learn and grow from it
- Expert knowledge in Adobe Photoshop and all the "usual suspects"
- A demonstrated ability to direct, mentor and enhance the efforts of the art team
- You know how to balance the need for the best quality art against the realities of shipping schedules
- You love sharing your team’s ideas and absorbing best practices from others
- A need to succeed as a team or as we say it "to build a cultural phenomenon"
- You are ready to relocate to Barcelona when it's safe
We take our hiring seriously and want to ensure the best match for both parties. We're not looking to just fill a seat. If you reside internationally we will virtually fly you in to meet us face-to-face. This role requires you to send in your portfolio or website where you can show us your work.
Do you share our passion for creating casual story driven games and care deeply about the characters and worlds you build? Take your place in a passionate but humble team of experts and put your stamp on the future of our games.
For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.