Technical UI Artist
From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 28-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 250 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, a newly opened Romania studio - plus an additional UI/UX hub in the UK. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Now, our UI/UX team needs a Technical UI Artist based in Raleigh, NC.
Your Mission in Funcom
As a Technical UI Artist, you will be communicating with all art disciplines to resolve issues, prototype new systems and develop new tools to support the teams. Alongside this, you will handle a diverse range of tasks including workflow processes, tools, prototyping, documentation, and performance.
In this role you are an adaptable Technical Artist, always ready for a new challenge and have a strong proactiveness for solving problems within the pipeline that arise.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Work closely with each of the various Art, UI and Programming departments to effectively create UI visuals, both through R+D tests and full implementations
- Support development efforts with recommendations across the teams to ensure a consistency of technical execution and visuals in-line with the Art and UI/UX Directors goals
- Create and improve various scripts, assets + pipelines for UI production, alongside troubleshooting asset-related technical issues that arise
- Write and maintain technical documentation to support your own developments, as well as other project-wide implementations and pipelines
- Checking assets in terms of technical setup and usage within the engine
- Build with consistency and efficiency in mind, to ensure a high standard throughout the games UI, including using profiling tools to find problems
- Stay up to date on best practices to keep up with the latest next-gen industry standards
We are looking for someone that has:
- Minimum 1-year commercial production experience in a Technical Art role
- Good understanding of latest games art fundamentals of rendering, materials, lighting, post-processing, and pipeline developments
- Knowledge & experience with Max/Maya/Substance/Photoshop and/or other 3D software packages
- Proficiency with pipeline scripting (Python/MAXscript/MEL)
- Good communication, self-driven organization, and time management skills with the ability to help mentor your colleagues.
- Bachelor/Undergraduate degree or equivalent
In addition, the perfect candidate has:
- Familiarity with UE4 with UMG and UI Materials familiarity (plus examples)
- Prior experience of UI creation and implementation
- Experience with programming languages such as C++ / C#
- Keen interest in playing games and game development beyond art
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality. Funcom is an international and varied environment in which people have one thing in common – their love for making and playing videogames.
Funcom NC studio is a professional working environment with international work culture.
- Substantial employee benefits package including premium-free Insurance package, 25 vacation days, 8 sick days, 10 paid holidays, etc.
- 401K w/match.
- Dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging work environment.
- Continued training and career development opportunities.
- Continually evolving employee-based culture, including events, gatherings, contests, morale-based incentives, etc.
Funcom Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Funcom is looking for candidates who are authorized to work in the U.S.
COVID-19 Update: Funcom has transitioned to a work-from-home model and continues to interview/hire during this time. Initially, this role is expected to be a remote position, ultimately becoming an onsite position. We understand that every circumstance may be unique and Funcom will work with each candidate to identify options that work best for them and for Funcom.