(Closed) Senior Technical Designer
From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 28-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 250 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, a newly opened Romania studio - plus an additional UI/UX hub in the UK. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Your Mission in Funcom
The Senior Technical Designer will help shape the tools and design implementation practices for a “survival, open-world crafting game” set in the Dune universe. You will follow up on tools requests from designers and work with programmers to ensure design tools are implemented according to the needs of the game. You will be the liaison between design and code and collaborate with the teams that use the content tools, making sure they are easy to use.
The Senior Technical Designer will also establish, document, and enforce best practices for scripting and content implementation, reporting to the Lead Game Designer.
How you can have an impact on your position:
- Be able to prototype and mockup tools to facilitate discussion about needed functionality
- Understand what designers need from content tools, as well as being able to effectively convey this to programmers
- Facilitate communication between designers and programmers for smooth and efficient tools implementation and integration
- Be able to suggest the best ways to prototype various game features
- Understand how to make tools that support making high-quality game content, with an eye towards quantity and variety as well as extensive customization options
- Set the standard for scripted gameplay and content implementation
We are looking for someone that has:
- 5+ years professional experience as a game designer, with 2+ years experience in a technical game design role
- Shipped titles in a professional capacity
- Proficiency in text-based scripting, visual scripting, and programming languages
- A strong understanding of game engine tools and pipelines, particularly Unreal Engine
- Experience in rapid prototyping
- Understanding of design processes, as well as experience implementing features and content
- Clear, effective communication skills across teams and cultures
- Motivation and drive to collaborate and advance positive change in a studio environment
- The ability to work diligently while thinking critically and resolving complex issues
In addition, the perfect candidate has:
- Experience working on survival games
- Enjoys playing survival games
- Familiarity with Dune and the Dune IP
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
Please apply in English.
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
The Funcom Oslo studio is a professional working environment with international work culture, close to 100 people from over 25 different nationalities in one of the happiest countries in the world. Funcom is an international and varied environment in which people have one thing in common – their love for making and playing video games.
Located in central downtown Oslo, the studio is situated in a modern office building surrounded by a cozy area with lots of sights, restaurants, and cafés.
Working at Funcom Oslo offers a flexible 37.5h/week working schedule, relocation assistance, pension plan, healthcare package, social Fridays, free access to the gym, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family of kind, skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games!
We have a diverse, dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities, and we encourage candidates from all walks of life to apply. Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.
- Temporarily remote