Senior Material Artist
From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey, to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 28-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 200 people located in 3 studios: Norway, US, and Portugal. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Now, Funcom is looking for a Senior Material Artist to join its development team in Oslo, Norway.
Your Mission in Funcom
As a Senior Material Artist, you will have a huge impact on the overall look and feel of the game. You will handle a diverse range of tasks including both creation of textures and materials themselves, as well as setting up the material pipelines, collaboration with Technical Artists and various stakeholders across the production.
In this role, you are a highly skilled and knowledgeable Material Artist, always ready for a new challenge, and have a very strong proactiveness for problem-solving within the pipeline that arises.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Creation of the highest quality textures & materials using Substance Suite
- Collaborate look development with Technical Artists with developing advanced shaders, smart materials, and tileable textures
- Oversee, maintain and build our developing material library
- Write and maintain technical documentation to support your own developments, as well as for other project-wide implementations and pipelines
- Provide guidance and assistance to the Art Team as they develop and implement their work throughout the games pipelines
- Stay up to date on best practices to keep up with the latest next-gen industry standards
We are looking for someone that has:
- Minimum 3 years commercial production experience in a similar Art role, with a portfolio of AAA quality materials
- Expert skills in Substance
- >span class="NormalTextRun SpellingErrorV2 SCXW1494883 BCX0">fundimentals of PBR rendering, materials, lighting, post-processing and pipeline developments
- Great communication, self-driven organization, and time management skills with the ability to help mentor your colleagues
- Bachelor/Undergraduate degree or equivalent
In addition, the perfect candidate has:
- Proven experience working with Unreal Engine
- Broad knowledge & experience with Max/Maya/Substance/Photoshop and/or other 3D software packages
- Understanding of the more technical aspects of games development
- Keen interest in playing games and game development beyond art
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible! The average response time is 1 week.
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
The Funcom Oslo studio is a professional working environment with international work culture, close to 100 people from over 25 different nationalities in one of the happiest countries in the world. Funcom is an international and varied environment in which people has one thing in common – their love for making and playing videogames.
Located in central downtown Oslo, the studio is situated in a modern office building surrounded by a cozy area with lots of sights, restaurants, and cafés.
Working at Funcom Oslo offers a flexible 37.5h/week working schedule, relocation assistance, pension plan, healthcare package, social Fridays, free access to the gym, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family of kind, skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games!
We have a dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging work culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities. Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.