QA Project Manager
From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 28-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 250 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, a newly opened Romania studio - plus an additional UI/UX hub in the UK. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Now, our studio in Bucharest, Romania, needs a QA Project Manager to manage all QA aspects for one of Funcom’s AAA projects, leading QA teams across several studios, collaborating with the development team to best serve their needs, and ensuring a quality experience for the end-users.
Your Mission in Funcom
As a QA Project Manager, you will be responsible for managing all QA aspects for one of Funcom’s AAA projects, leading QA teams across several studios, collaborating with the development team to best service their needs, and ensuring a quality experience for the end users.
You will plan, build, and organize the QA team to fit the project ambitions, timeline and needs. You will hire, develop, and mentor the QA Leads and other QA staff to ensure their growth, enable their performance and reach high professional and quality standards. You will be the QA spokesperson and quality champion for the project, in relationship with the development team, and with all external partners.
You will develop QA processes and best practices that meet the demands of Funcom AAA games, with a focus on automation, massive online multiplayer, procedural content generation and very large open worlds. You will ensure that the proper compliance methodology is put in place to deliver the best quality, compatibility, and performance on every platform, including PC, PS5 and Xbox Series X/S.
You will help assess the strengths and weaknesses of external QA partners and propose mitigations to meet current project needs and improve the quality of these collaborations.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Define the project QA strategy, create the test plan, and build the QA team. Be a gatekeeper for QA processes and standards.
- Lead the QA team through direct mentorship while acting as a tactical driver of success, with the ability to directly contribute to team goals
- Lead the qualitative feedback process from a QA perspective, gathering feedback from the entire team and providing the dev team with applicable analysis of the results
- Represent QA within the development team; be visible, vocal, and integrated
- Participate in daily development stand-ups and share updates with the wider QA team
- Develop an intimate understanding of the systems and their associated requirements, maintaining them; share the details and updates with the wider QA team
- Perform design testing reviews, ensuring the design is captured and identifying bugs and usability concerns before they make it into the game
- Establish and execute quality goals focused on risk management, quality checks, and established KPIs
We are looking for someone that has:
- 7+ years of experience in the game industry working in a QA or related role
- 3+ years of experience leading/managing a team
- Strong understanding of QA methodologies and tools, video game testing standards, and the video game development cycle
- Experience with automated testing
- Experience creating and maintaining test plans for various features and systems within the game
- Experience with open-world and multiplayer games on both PC and console
- Professional Experience with the test cycle of a commercial game project, through alpha, beta, launch, and maintenance
- Experience with test and issue management tools, Jira, and preferably Testrail
- Passion for leadership and mentoring
- Clear, effective communication across teams and cultures
- Strong analytical and problem-detection skills, with an ability to work with resolve
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
Bucharest studio is a professional working environment with international work culture, currently focusing on Quality Assurance, with plans in place to expand to other areas of game development over time.
Working at Funcom Bucharest offers a flexible working schedule, flexible benefits you can choose from, well-being programs, and a lot of fun social events where you can interact with your colleagues. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family of kind, skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games! You will work in a nice and cozy and central location, with a lot of facilities (proximity to the metro and restaurants).
We have a dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging work culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities. Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.