(Closed) Marketing Director
Locations: Oslo, Norway. Lisbon, Portugal. Stockholm, Sweden.
From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 28-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 250 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, a newly opened Romania studio - plus an additional UI/UX hub in the UK. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
As part of that expansion, Funcom is strengthening its in-house marketing department with several new positions. One key role is the Marketing Director who will be working strategically and tactically on all titles developed both internally and externally. The Marketing Director will lead a team of marketing professionals and will report to the Chief Marketing Officer.
This position is ideally located at our studio in Oslo, Norway, Stockholm, Sweden or Lisbon, Portugal.
Your Mission in Funcom
As Marketing Director you will lead a team of brand, marketing and PR professionals. You and your team will be an integral part in growing and marketing high-profile brands such as Conan the Barbarian and Dune. You will work with the Sales Director, Community Engagement Director, and the Marketing Art Director - as well as their teams - in creating and executing go-to-market strategies to successfully position, market, and launch products across PC, Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo Switch. You will also work with the production teams and producers, representing the marketing team in discussions and decisions. Leveraging data both internal and external, you will take lead on developing campaigns that will generate brand awareness, create purchase intent, and drive sales across channels and audiences. You will set ambitious goals for your team and for the company, and we will look to you to take us to new heights!
Games and gaming is part of your DNA and you have a genuine passion for marketing. Your enthusiasm for the industry and the trade will inspire your team to do their best work, and you will enjoy great freedom in coming up with new and innovative ways to market our products.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Lead and inspire a team of marketing professionals to do their best work
- Build, grow, and manage brands to create long-lasting brand equity
- Work together with your team and other teams to create marketing strategies go-to-market plans that combines marketing, PR, sales, engagement, and creative
- Manage your team’s work to ensure deadlines are kept and that dependencies across teams and departments are honored
- Identify target audiences and build positioning strategies that will make brands and products stand out and generate interest before, during, and after launch
- Challenge upwards and challenge downwards, building convincing arguments rooted in both data and experience to push your team, the department, and the company forward
- Work in collaboration with other teams in the department as well as company management and production teams and producers, both internally and externally
- Work with IP partners to capitalize on transmedia opportunities including TV, movies, music, board games, books, and more
- Track and use KPIs to evaluate, improve, and steer your own work and that of your team
- Play an important part in continuing to build the marketing department, hiring great people and developing the team
We are looking for someone that has:
- 10+ years experience in the gaming industry of which a minimum of five years have been spent in high-level marketing roles
- Successfully shipped several AA and AAA titles across multiple platforms, both digital and retail. Experience with AAA games as a service on PC/console is a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- A desire to work both strategically and tactically on growing brands and marketing products
- The ability to lead and inspire a team, being both a leader and a manager
- A genuine interest in analyzing trends and using data to make informed decisions, but also wanting to innovate and create new paths to success
- The ability to plan and manage the work of others, but also work operationally
- Excellent communication skills, able to work with people from different professions across teams, to deliver on a unified vision
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
Please apply in English.
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
Working at Funcom offers a flexible working schedule, relocation assistance, pension plan, healthcare package, social Fridays, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family of kind, skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games!
We have a diverse, dynamic, inclusive, challenging and engaging culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities, and we encourage candidates from all walks of life to apply. Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.