Lead Game Designer
From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 28-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 250 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, a newly opened Romania studio - plus an additional UI/UX hub in the UK. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Now, our Creative department in Oslo, Norway needs a Lead Game Designer to help shape the vision of the game and manage design strike teams.
Your Mission in Funcom
As Lead Game Designer, you will help shape the vision for a “sandbox, open world crafting game” set in the Dune universe. You will manage designers in one or more strike teams and drive design and content implementation efforts in sections of the game, reporting to the game director. You will assist the design team in captivating players with memorable experiences through mentor-driven leadership. You will effectively liaise with teams which depend on the content your team delivers, as well as making sure your team gets the support they need from other teams.
The Lead Game Designer has experience planning and implementing game features and content. You will work with content design teams and narrative to ensure that the content and features are true to the Dune IP, while delivering a satisfying game experience. You will be challenged to create content that supports the core fantasies of Dune. Most importantly, the Lead Game Designer will oversee the creation of the game toolbox, as well as make sure content designers use the toolbox optimally.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Lead the designers in one or more strike teams through direct mentorship
- Assist in the creation of the Content Bible for the game
- Expand the game world through game features and content, following the creative vision and Content Bible
- Create quality goals, workflows, and guides for all game features and content relevant to your areas of ownership
- Collaborate and build relationships with various strike teams that are working on their sections of the game
- Plan creation of content and features, including conception, presentation, iteration, and documentation in relevant ownership areas
- Feedback on designs, content and features and help drive efforts to improve the quality of the game
We are looking for someone that has:
- A bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of experience in the game industry working in a game design capacity
- 2+ years of experience leading/managing a team
- Shipped titles in a professional capacity
- Extensive understanding of design processes including NPC design, feature design, level design, content design, as well as experience implementing features and content
- Passion for leadership and mentoring
- Clear, effective communication skills across teams and cultures
- Motivation and drive to collaborate and advance positive change in a studio environment
- The ability to work diligently while thinking critically and resolving complex issues
In addition, the perfect candidate has:
- Experience working on survival games
- Enjoys playing survival games
- Familiarity with Dune and the Dune IP
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
Please apply in English.
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
The Funcom Oslo studio is a professional working environment with international work culture, close to 100 people from over 25 different nationalities in one of the happiest countries in the world. Funcom is an international and varied environment in which people have one thing in common – their love for making and playing video games.
Located in central downtown Oslo, the studio is situated in a modern office building surrounded by a cozy area with lots of sights, restaurants, and cafés.
Working at Funcom Oslo offers a flexible 37.5h/week working schedule, relocation assistance, pension plan, healthcare package, social Fridays, free access to the gym, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family of kind, skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games!
We have a dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging work culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities.
Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.