Funcom NC is looking for a Game Designer to work on our new open-world multiplayer survival game utilizing the Dune IP from Legendary Entertainment all within the power of the Unreal 4 Engine. We offer you a job in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games. You will work closely with the design, creative & programming teams and will design and implement various gameplay features including player abilities, aim assist/shooter mechanics, RPG progression systems, and balancing. You will also collaborate with team members from other disciplines to drive and build a compelling gameplay experience.
At Funcom, we are a Scandinavian company at heart and follow Scandinavian work values (please check out our company values and history). For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
Funcom was founded in 1993 and during the past 28 years we've created everything from pixel platformers to massively multiplayer online games. Today, over 230 people from more than 25 different nationalities come together across our three studios in Norway, the US, and Portugal. We want Funcom to be a game developer where creative people can come together and leave a mark on the industry. From the critically acclaimed The Longest Journey, to the first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal survival in Conan Exiles, we make games with an edge, while truly immersing and enjoying the culture we create!
- Great employee benefits (premium-free medical/dental/vision Insurance package, 25 vacation days/8 sick days, 10 paid holidays, etc.)
- 401K w/match
- Possibility of advancement
- Dynamic and challenging work environment
- Training opportunities
- Team-oriented culture
- Social events and gatherings (currently virtual due to Covid-19)
- 3+ years of Game Design experience, with at least one shipped title.
- Experience, as a designer and as a player, with online games/titles.
- General understanding of game engines, technology, and the game development process.
- Experience developing combat systems, camera systems, and class/role-based gameplay.
- Experience with scripting including Blueprints or LUA or similar language.
- Knowledge of the Microsoft product suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Unrelenting self-motivation and initiative.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Experience with general combat design.
- Experience with console development.
- Design experience within UE4.
- Knowledge of Jira/Confluence.
- A Passion for survival-based games.
- Ability to rapidly prototype and investigate other options and ideas.
- Design, implement and balance cutting-edge game features including player abilities, aim assist/shooter mechanics, RPG progression systems, and more.
- Work with the systems and gameplay teams to implement entirely new gameplay features as well as adjust and update existing gameplay features.
- Work directly with other designers, UX, QA, and playtest groups to refine and improve gameplay.
- Prototype and implement new gameplay content with editor and scripting tools.
- Work with sound, VFX, and animation to make in-game cause and effect clear to players.
- Generate and maintain feature and content usage documentation.
- Additional duties include assisting with content creation for game development and assisting with quality control of all products.
Funcom Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Funcom is looking for candidates who are authorized to work in the U.S.
COVID-19 Update: Funcom has transitioned to a work-from-home model and continues to interview/hire during this time. Initially, this role is expected to be a remote position, ultimately becoming an onsite position. We understand that every circumstance may be unique and Funcom will work with each candidate to identify options that work best for them and for Funcom.