Frontier are the studio behind Jurassic World Evolution, Elite Dangerous and Planet Coaster. We are Britain’s biggest independent publisher and developer of videogames, based among the world-leading technology cluster in the historic city of Cambridge, England.
We are proud to be named one of the UK’s Best Places to Work by GamesIndustry.biz in 2018.
As part of our tools team, you will develop and support the COBRA engine along with game-specific tools and processes. You will contribute ideas for how to extend COBRA to deliver great workflows for content creators, and collaborate with runtime engine programmers to determine how the tooling and runtime components fit together. As a specialist tools programmer you will focus your efforts on tools development, and assist specialists in other areas to understand what code they develop to complement those tools.
You will work closely with programmers and content creators to understand and influence how assets are built, how the runtime game uses them, and what processes are used to create our games. You will contribute directly to the COBRA engine and supporting pipelines, take ownership of proprietary tools used with COBRA games, and promote best-use of existing tools for game development.
- Creating and supporting the development tools that we use to build games.
- Working with other programmers and content creators to design effective workflows and development pipelines.
- Identifying new technologies and processes that will improve the games made with COBRA.
- Evangelising tools and mentoring others in how to build and use them.
- Strong knowledge of C# programming.
- Strong WPF / XAML skills.
- Good working knowledge of C++.
- Experience of working directly with users, from requirements capture through to product support.
- Experience creating user documentation and demo presentations
- Familiarity with source control (SVN, GIT etc.)
- Proven collaboration skills within a development team.
- Experience in the creation and support of complex software packages
- Understanding of design patterns and system architecture
- Has experience in a test-driven development (TDD) environment
- Familiarity with contemporary game creation tools and workflows
- Experience deploying and supporting tools across multiple game teams.
- Familiarity with art content creation packages (i.e. Maya, 3dsMax, Photoshop, ZBrush, etc.)
- Experience with creating UI / UX
- Familiarity with scripting languages (LUA, Python)
What we can offer you
At Frontier we believe your work should be rewarding in every way. We offer the chance to work on blockbuster franchises and world-leading IP in a studio environment considered one of the best places to work in the UK.
We also offer a range of flexible benefits to our 400+ team, including life assurance, private family healthcare, pension, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, regular in-house wellbeing sessions, regular social events, and annual bonus and sharesave schemes for everyone to share in the studio’s success.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.