Frontier Developments are the studio behind Jurassic World Evolution, Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo. We are Britain’s biggest independent publisher and developer of videogames, based among the world-leading technology cluster in the historic city of Cambridge, England.
An opportunity for an experienced Materials Artist with a solid understanding of modern texturing/surfacing systems. The successful candidate will be able to work not only with members of the materials team but also Concept Artists and Art Directors to help push and unify the look of titles. They will also be passionate about creating high quality, responsive surfaces in Substance Designer, be comfortable following a concept in detail and should be able to apply their keen visual skills to the wide range of artistic styles employed by Frontier's diverse and growing catalogue of games.
Frontier uses its proprietary Cobra™ engine hand in hand with industry standard packages like Substance Designer to ensure we deliver on the vision of each title. This is one of the key roles within our team and we’re looking for candidates whose aspirations match. If you believe you have the skills and passion for this role we would love to hear from you!
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a studio with a proven track record of delivering successful AAA titles and to play an important role in our continued success.
- Use procedural techniques to create complex, editable materials.
- Maintain and update our Substance libraries.
- Work with the Art team to maintain consistent high quality materials throughout the gaming world.
- Build custom tools in Substance Designer to help improve functionality, speed, and quality.
- Create custom generators and brushes in Designer for use in Painter.
- Experience of at least one full game production cycle.
- Ability to appreciate, respond to and provide constructive critique.
- Strong observational skills and ability to translate reference into designer materials.
- Confidence to challenge team members with solution based answers.
- Enjoy working collaboratively as part of a cross disciplinary team.
- Extensive knowledge of Substance Designer.
- Solid understanding of Physically Based Shading and rendering.
- Solid understanding of Substance Painter.
- Production experience with 3D authoring software (Maya).
- Mentoring/coaching junior members of the team.
- Experience with Real-time rendering.
- Experience with Python or other Scripting languages.
- Experience of shader creation.
What we can offer you
At Frontier we believe your work should be rewarding in every way. We offer the chance to work on blockbuster franchises and world-leading IP in a studio environment considered one of the best places to work in the UK.
We also offer a range of flexible benefits to our 550+ team, including life assurance, private family healthcare, pension, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, regular in-house wellbeing sessions, regular social events, and annual bonus and sharesave schemes for everyone to share in the studio’s success.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.