Graduate Web Server Developer
Frontier Developments are the studio behind Jurassic World Evolution, Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo. We are Britain's biggest independent publisher and developer of videogames, based among the world-leading technology cluster in the historic city of Cambridge, England.
We're looking for Web Server Developers to join our Online Services team and help develop our growing portfolio of online game services, web sites, and corporate information applications, hosted on public cloud services and the office intranet. The successful applicants would work in an enthusiastic, agile environment across a range of new and existing game and corporate projects, and will be able to expand their skills and experience by working with a variety of technologies, languages, applications, servers and databases.
Experience of playing games with online components will help a lot. Prior experience of being employed with server systems or in the games industry is not necessary, we are looking for applicants that can demonstrate they are keen to learn, develop and code.
This role offers a great chance to explore a variety of technologies and server software for someone in the early stages of a career in web development, with lots of opportunities to work on well-executed products and services.
- Help develop high performance, high availability websites and applications to support our growing catalogue of online games
- Efficiently develop easy to use intranet applications to help organise the studio's information and make it available to our colleagues and partners
- Assist with server operations tasks using public cloud services
- Help debug and maintain existing distributed server systems.
- Self-motivated and inquisitive
- Enjoys building
- Work collaboratively with the Online team and other stakeholders to deliver high quality websites, tools and associated systems
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members
- Excellent attention to detail
- A quick learner who is willing to adapt to new tools and frameworks.
Qualifications, skills and experience
- Degree qualified in a relevant numerate discipline such as Computer Science, Maths, Engineering or a strong portfolio of project work
- Able to program
- Experience using relational database technologies such as SQL
- Good documentation skills
- Proficient in Linux and Windows environments
- Experience using version control software such as Git or SVN
- Recent experience with modern web frameworks such as Slim, Drupal, Symfony, React or Laravel
- Working with cloud-based systems such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud Platform
- Working with public and private RESTful API's NoSQL databases such as DynamoDB, Redis or MongoDB
- Containerized Services
What we can offer you
At Frontier we believe your work should be rewarding in every way. We offer the chance to work on blockbuster franchises and world-leading IP in a studio environment considered one of the best places to work in the UK.
We also offer a range of flexible benefits to our 600+ team, including life assurance, private family healthcare, pension, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, regular in-house wellbeing sessions, regular social events, and annual bonus and sharesave schemes for everyone to share in the studio's success.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.