Graduate Game Designer
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England.
With a growing team of over 600 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo.
We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).
We are also growing our team to continue the growth of Frontier Foundry, our games label for publishing games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We are looking for a Graduate Game Designer to help design exciting new content for our upcoming games.
- Initially working on Planet Zoo your role will focus on:
- Animal Research – work with our external researcher to find information and statistics about new animals.
- Animal Balance – taking new animals and balancing them using a mixture of research and the numbers used for animals already in the game.
- Scenery Support – helping the art team get scenery into the game and balanced.
- Feature Support – implementing and giving feedback on new features such as animal toys and guest interactions.
- Adaptable and creative with a solid practical understanding of game mechanics and genres.
- Experience and knowledge of management and simulation games.
- Experience of or ability to refine system designs and simulation variables to deliver balanced and entertaining gameplay.
- Ability to apply artistic and programmatic perspectives to work.
- Experience of setting up levels/scenarios.
- Capable of producing clear and concise documentation, analysing problems and finding the most efficient and effective solutions.
- Quick to pick up and learn new tool sets.
- Ability to estimate work and take responsibility for delivering it on time and to the required level of finish.
- Familiarity with scripting languages or tools (e.g. Lua)
- Experience of game editing tools like Unreal or Unity and/or 3D packages like Max or Maya would be beneficial.
- Knowledge of procedural game systems.
- Knowledge of Multiplayer and online gaming.
- Passion for animal’s and ecology.
Please note: if you have examples of Game Design you have worked on please provide them in your application
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier, and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.