Frontier Developments are the studio behind Jurassic World Evolution, Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo. We are Britain’s biggest independent publisher and developer of videogames, based among the world-leading technology cluster in the historic city of Cambridge, England.
What’s the opportunity?
As part of our exciting and ambitious road map, we have a number of Games Director opportunities to work on current and future projects. As a Games Director and senior member of our Development Leadership team, you will be the visionary for the game and work closely with the Executive Board to champion it through to realisation. You will be responsible for leading, motivating and enabling your project team and delivering the game to a high level of quality and on time.
Reporting into the Chief Creative Officer, the Games Director has direct line management responsibility for the Executive Producer and the Lead Developers on the project and works closely with the Directors and Heads of Development.
Why could it be the role for you?
As a senior member of our Development Leadership Team, you will lead on the delivery of one of our exciting IPs, which include Formula 1, Warhammer, Elite Dangerous and our Planet franchise as well as future unannounced titles.
We can offer a competitive salary to attract the best, a significant annual on-target company bonus, a generous annual equity grant, private medical insurance, flexible working and a comprehensive financial and practical relocation support package as well as a range of other benefits and perks.
We are continuing to work remotely during the pandemic but it is expected that when we return you will be able to work at least 3 days per week in our Cambridge studio. We attract top industry talent from around the world and are able to sponsor visas and cover associated costs should it be required.
- Vision – You will provide a clear and compelling vision for the game, including identifying the game’s pillars and aligning the Project and Publishing teams around it. You will also keep a clear line of sight on the end goal whilst constantly looking for ways to achieve more, within agreed parameters.
- Project - In partnership with the Executive Producer (EP) on your project, you will develop the roadmap for release, determine the priorities, monitor progress and make any necessary adjustments. Whilst the EP is responsible for scheduling and monitoring, the Games Director has overall accountability for their project’s delivery to time, budget and quality.
- Design – You will oversee the production of the project’s design documentation/features and ensure that the project’s strategic design challenges are met.
- Team – As well as being a champion of your project, you will also need to work alongside other Games Directors to ensure that your needs are balanced against the needs of the other projects. Working with the Directors and Heads of Development, you will help evaluate and distribute staff and skillsets across projects.
- Relationships – You will be the primary point of contact for all client and stakeholder relations including 3rd party licence holders.
- Reporting – You will provide monthly project reports to the Board, input into the Executive Producer’s weekly progress report and report progress to other stakeholders as needed.
- Ideally from a technical games background i.e. Design, Programming or Art with a strong understanding of the game development process.
- Experience in a similar role as the vision holder with overall accountability for the delivery of your project, leading a development teams of circa. 100 people.
- Significant console/PC games industry experience, having been through multiple full product lifecycles for complex projects.
- Proven track record as a leader in developing and motivating high performing teams.
- Critical and analytical thinker.
- Excellent influencing and communication skills up to Board level.
- Resilient under pressure with the ability to remain calm and take accountability for making important decisions.
- Ability to communicate effectively within a large group/multiple project environment.
- Strong understanding of game project planning and scheduling.
What we can offer you
At Frontier we believe your work should be rewarding in every way. We offer the chance to work on blockbuster franchises and world-leading IP in a studio environment considered one of the best places to work in the UK.
We also offer a range of flexible benefits to our 550+ team, including life assurance, private family healthcare, pension, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, regular in-house wellbeing sessions, regular social events, and annual bonus and sharesave schemes for everyone to share in the studio’s success.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.