Game Designer - Warhammer: Age of Sigmar
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England.
With a growing team of over 600 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo.
We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).
We are also growing our team to continue the growth of Frontier Foundry, our games label for publishing games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We are looking for a Full Designer to work on our real time strategy game, based in Games Workshop’s Age of Sigmar universe.
Working under the direction of senior design, you’ll take ownership of levels from initial layout to final release, ensuring that all narrative and gameplay goals are met, on schedule, and to the best possible quality. In addition, you’ll also help out with a variety of design tasks as needed, including creating and testing game mechanics, balance passes and documentation.
- Design and implement levels using our proprietary tools and engine
- Use Lua scripting to best support gameplay mechanics and narrative vision
- Collaborate with the art team to achieve visual excellence without compromising gameplay
- Playtesting and balancing to ensure high levels of quality
- Clear and concise documentation
- At least one year of games industry experience working on a shipped title
- Experience of designing and delivering levels using current industry standard tools or equivalent proprietary software
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Able to take feedback and understand how to interpret it, knowing when to push back and when to follow
- Good at coping with deadlines, able to make clear and constructive decisions in a timely manner, and remain positive whilst under pressure
- Hold a deep understanding of how your areas of responsibility fit in to the game as a whole
- Able to quickly pick up, analyse and distil game mechanics and systems
- Ability to view games from both player and developer perspectives
- Familiarity with scripting languages or visual scripting tools (e.g. Lua, Blueprint visual scripting)
- Experience adjusting existing systems to refine and balance gameplay
- Knowledge of multiplayer and online gaming and culture
- Passion for real time strategy games and storytelling
If you have any examples of game design that you have worked on (professional or otherwise) please include them alongside your application.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.