(Closed) 3D Artist
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England.
With a growing team of over 600 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo.
We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).
We are also growing our team to continue the growth of Frontier Foundry, our games label for publishing games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
As a 3D Artist you will have the opportunity to work on high quality assets in one of our exciting games. You will apply your keen visual and sculptural skills on a range of artistic styles covered by Frontier's diverse and growing portfolio. You will also need to be able to combine your understanding of a visual style to take even a loose sketch to an inspiring location in-game.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a studio with a proven track record of delivering successful AAA titles and to play an important role in our continued success.
- Creating and/or modifying in-game 3D assets within a given timeframe and budget.
- Collaborating with the art team both internally and externally, acting positively on Art Direction and feedback, to complete the work to a high quality and required art style.
- Interpreting 2d concept art and reference into accurate 3D models that capture the spirit of the concept as well as the technical dimensions.
- Understanding and accommodating the context of the asset - how it needs to be set up and its gameplay potential.
- A good team player, willing to work collaboratively and receive feedback and guidance from the rest of the team.
- Good attention to detail.
- Ability to work within an established art style.
- Solid 3d modelling skills, preferably in Maya and zBrush.
- Excellent Substance Painter and Photoshop texturing skills, targeting physically based rendering.
- Familiarity with the entire game asset creation pipeline: high-poly sculpting, retopology, UV mapping, texture baking, texture painting, setting up and exporting to game.
- Experience with PBR pipeline and real-time engines.
- Great understanding of proportion, scale, perspective, lighting and colour.
- A keen eye for spinning narrative and life into an environment.
- Understanding of best working practices in terms of LOD creation and optimisation.
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills.
- An Art degree or relevant game art course.
- An adaptable attitude to working across a breadth of art styles, from high-detail realism to cartoon stylisation.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.