Senior \ Lead Artist
Freejam, developers of the hit online multiplayer game Robocraft, is now looking for a Senior \ Lead Artist to join our growing team in order to build our new ambitious online free-to-play title Techblox.
The successful candidate will play a key role in the development of all aspects of the art content and style within the product. Initially, you would work closely with the Game Director and other artists already on the team to understand the existing art style and workflows. Over time you would begin to ‘own’ the style, developing some assets yourself as well as managing the other more junior artists on the team. You may be an experienced lead artist and can hit the ground running in these respects, or you maybe be a senior artist who feels they can be a great lead and can grow into this role with us over the course of the development.
- Work closely with the Game Director and existing artists to understand the art style and existing workflows
- Take ownership of the art style over time to ensure that it remains consistent across the product
- Manage the more junior artists in the team
- Assist the Game Director in identifying art roles that are required and in the hiring process
- Solve technical problems relating to art and animation content in-game
- Learn existing art pipelines, refine them, and maintain them
- Utilize all latest games graphics techniques and technologies where appropriate to improve the quality and productivity of the game and its development
- Be a versatile artist, able to participate where needed in the creation of new content
- Specify work for, and help to manage and direct, external freelance and contract artists that support the internal core team
- 5+ years games industry experience as an artist
- Proven ability in high-poly modeling, surface texturing, baking to low-polygon in-game hard surface models
- Experience with environment art, landscape, foliage, and prop asset creation
- Experience with Unity HDRP lighting, atmospherics, post-processes, surface materials
- Some experience with Unity Visual Effects Graph
- Some experience with character modeling, rigging, skinning
- Some experience with animating, even if you’re not a pro-animator but you’ve done personal projects to learn about this area of art in games
- An understanding of building shaders with node graphs such as Unity Shader Graph
- The software we use are Maya, Photoshop, Substance, Illustrator, XD, Speedtree, ZBrush - any other tools that can help you produce higher quality art or be more productive are always welcome
- A keen eye for detail
- Meticulous and well organized
- Respect for deadlines and be a team player
- Pro-active and able to prioritize tasks and manage your time effectively
- You must be friendly, no ego, open to other opinions, but also confident in your own ability and skills. How you integrate as a person within the team will be critical to your success within the role.
Freejam is based in Portsmouth, UK. Due to Covid, you will likely onboard with the company remotely, but as soon as it is safe to do so you will be expected to join us in the studio. We can sponsor visa's if required.
Freejam is a fully indie team, we shape our destiny. We decide game features, what platforms we release on, what dates we release on, how we promote and market our games, what business models we choose to follow, our prices, everything. It is fun and very rewarding to be the master of your own game development destiny. This is the freedom that being properly independent brings and this is what Freejam is all about.
Even if we are a small company, we’re able to offer good benefits including flexible working hours, an ambitious, ego-free and relaxing environment. Further perks include days out/pub meet up when possible and, of course, our legendary Christmas parties.
Freejam is currently in the amazing position of building a brand new project and we’re looking for like-minded people who can help shape it.
Freejam is aware that sometimes minorities are under-represented in the game development industry. We welcome applications from people from all under-represented groups.
Portsmouth is a historic naval city, now recognized for its university, on the south coast of England with good transport links to London. Freejam’s studio is located on the harbor surrounded by popular venues, restaurants, and bars. Portsmouth gives you all the benefits of a proper city, without the chaos and the costs associated with living in London.