(Closed) Senior Backend Engineer
Fan.ai is a sponsorship analytics startup based in Santa Monica, CA.
The acknowledged leader in esports audience analytics, we’re poised to expand our SaaS platform into traditional sports, entertainment and brands and build out the product offering for top leagues, teams, events, influencers and agencies to better understand, grow and predict fan audiences across these verticals.
By delivering a market-leading suite of analytics tools, our platform yields improved sponsorship sales, more-targeted marketing activity, better-informed choices about player and team trades, and better-tailored activation and engagement strategies.
In the process of a seven-figure Series A investment round, we are currently backed by some of the best investors in Sports and Entertainment, and our team is passionate about applying machine learning and social physics to a growing community of fans, players and influencers.
Our team members and board advisors have worked in leading positions at some of the world’s largest data companies, including Facebook and Google.
Reporting into our VP of technology, you will responsible for implementing new APIs and services in the Fan.ai sports sponsorship platform. You’ll take responsibility for the quality, performance and security of our back-end codebase, and have a key role in ensuring we maintain high standards with regards to backend stability and data integrity.
You’ll be playing with terabytes of data daily, and your role will require you to keep a strong eye on efficient data wrangling. Within the product context, you’ll be expected to design for scale, find repeatable models for efficiently returning loads of data, and to work with the front-end engineering team to optimize performance and responsiveness.
A talented communicator, you’ll be looking to continue the growth of your interpersonal skills in a professional setting, and will be responsible for translating complex technical concepts into digestible terms for our internal and external client stakeholders.
- Working closely with product, design, and engineering teams through the entire lifecycle from drafting to delivering products, features, and services.
- Take true ownership in parts of our stack, championing their implementation, adoption, and maintenance.
- Design and implement APIs that power our web application and internal services.
- Build ETL pipelines to ingest data from 3rd party services and make it usable and queryable within the platform.
- Work closely with other developers to enhance infrastructure, improve reliability, and efficiency.
- Be a driving force in our engineering culture. Reviewing code, refining the architecture, and delivering a quality product.
- Monitoring and leading any junior engineers, raising the bar, and contributing to best practices for all engineers.
- Constantly focus on providing business value to our clients.
- We are a small team, you will wear many hats.
- Computer Science or other STEM degree.
- 5+ years of software engineering experience.
- 2+ years experience with cloud platforms like GCP, AWS, or Azure.
- Extremely comfortable with Git.
- Strong understanding of and experience with Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience with modern, SOA and microservices. You prefer asynchronous communication amongst services and are experienced using message queues.
- Experience working with SQL and NoSQL databases like Redis, PostgreSQL, Big Query, MongoDB, and ArangoDB.
- Comfortable working with concurrent programming (i.e., asynchronous, multi-threading, and multi-processing), and you understand when to use these techniques.
- Must be comfortable with Linux and associated technologies (e.g., Bash, cron, filesystems, signals, sockets, pipes, processes, SSH)
- Broad knowledge of the full stack. You should be able to trace a problem from the client to the system layer.
- Ability to communicate effectively, in both written and verbal forms, with technical and non-technical cross-functional teams.
- First-hand understanding of the full lifecycle development process, including business and functional requirements, developing technical designs, implementing scalable solutions, and design and analysis
- Own and care about your craftsmanship. Self-motivated and detail-oriented.
Bonus Points for:
- Proficient in Go and/or Python 3.
- Experience with Pytest and functional testing.
- Good working knowledge of and experience with Google Cloud Platform.
- Experience with Helm.
- Experience with modern practices and technologies such as REST, HTTP/2, gRPC, and Protobuf.
- Data engineering and ETL experience.
- Experience working with a graph database like ArangoDB.
- A love for automation, continuous integration, deployment, and testing.
- Comfortable with Agile delivery management tools and practices such as JIRA, Confluence, Trello, and Agile methods such as Scrum.
- Full Health Benefits- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life
- Paid Parking
- "Work from home Wednesdays"